cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone replaced the vinyl flooring?

Fishbreath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a question regarding the replacement of vinyl flooring. Do you glue it down or just staple the edges?

I ask because most RV's have their vinyl flooring placed on the subfloor before the walls are installed. This locks the vinyl flooring in place. If you cut out the flooring to replace it, what is used to keep it in place? I know that in residential applications vinyl flooring is secured with an adhesive.

Just wondering what others have done and if it has held up.

Thanks for the assistance.

Bill
12 REPLIES 12

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Our new Windjammer came with a vinyl product called Beau Floor. Looks like wood, but you can get it wet. We like it so far.

Beau Floor
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any vinyl product will shrink.

The screw head that poked through mine? Was a screw where the subfloor was attached to the joist. Was installed at an angle and not all the way in. Another Keystone feature.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

westend
Explorer
Explorer
1) Remove original floor covering (vinyl or carpet)
2) Treat surface so that it is absolutely flat (this may require some filler and sanding)
3) Rough cut new vinyl to fit space leaving 2" extra at perimeter
4) Spread adhesive on floor covering 1/2 of space at a time
5) Form joint along walls and door openings pressing with stair tool (a relief cut in corners may be necessary)
6) Trim vinyl to space with utility knife, discarding excess 2"
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the newer vinyl is only glued along the edges. My main concern about laying vinyl over vinyl would be the pattern of the lower floor coming thru the top one.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

marielw824
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm...this is really interesting. We want to remove the carpet in our bedroom and put down some sort of vinyl flooring. Dogs ... 2 of them ... yes we wash them ... but they're dogs and they smell like dogs. And the hair is woven into the carpet. The vacuum gets more hair up by friction and static than suction.

Here's the problem ... we can NOT put 1/4 round down. At least not in front of the slide. SO ... if the self adhesive doesn't work ... how are we going to do this? I had really hoped the self stick would work for us.

bullmastifflove
Explorer
Explorer
When we took out our vinyl flooring we were relieved to find there wasn't any glue underneath. We put down peel and stick flooring which was a disaster because it shrank a lot. We made a template out of butcher paper and cut one piece vinyl flooring. We didn't use glue or staple edges, but we did put down 1/4 round on edges.

I should also mention there was left over glue from the peel and sticks on the floor and we have tie downs that help keep the flooring in place as well.
2001 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4
2002 Thor Tahoe Transport 33TB
2004 2332 VW sandrail, 4 seat, long travel
1993 Grumman 14' fishing boat

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, the tank is mounted @ either end and underneath. This bolt is somewhere near the center of the tank.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be. It was holding the bracket for the tank.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose I'll find out. A bolt has poked it's ugly head through the vinyl right in frt of my couch in this stinking Keystone. Have no idea what it was holding in place. It's above the fresh tank.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
AS mentioned. It depends on what you use. A lot of today's better flooring does not require either glue, or staples. It simply lays there.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of related...a TT we looked at in the spring had laminate installed over the vinyl, it looked very nice.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
depends on the flooring..the last I put in my MH was glued down. The flooring I took out wasn't...check with who you are buying it from and go from there.
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty