cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup proximity sensor system

c-webster
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 40' diesel pusher and we'd like to install a good backup sensor system. We're looking for anyone who's installed one with good results, either wireless or wired--hopefully a product that's still available.
Charlie
5 REPLIES 5

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
I sure hope those soon to be released Autonomous Vehicles have better Sensors than the ones described in this thread!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
I have one on my pickup (built-in) and 99% of the time I turn it off as I am backing. If I leave a regular hitch on truck, it picks it up when I turn. If I have the TT hitch on the truck, the sensors pick it up always.. screaming at me to watch out as I am about to run all over something. Same if I leave the tailgate down. I get so many false warnings, I tend to ignore it and have almost had some real issues because of that.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

BozemanTrail
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a wireless SenseStat last fall on my 39' foot diesel pusher. Works great! Easy install.

http://www.mobileawareness.com/sensestat/

Backup sensors are wireless and get power from your reverse lights (so they turn on when you put it into reverse). Wireless install made it easy. It comes with little brackets to house the sensors, I was originally thinking about drilling 1" hole into the fiberglass, but instead went with the brackets, it was a lot easier, still looks good.

You can search online for folks that sell them, search for "mobile awareness sensestat" on google.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a cheapo eBay set on a minivan. Worked very well when calibrated, but required calibrating every time the temperature changed a few degrees, so not worth the trouble.

The high mounted looking down camera on the motorhome is wonderful, leaving no doubt about how close the pole or other vehicle is. And great for watching a trailer.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rear cameras on our coach are all we need for backing up, but our RAV4 has a dealer installed Tadi Brothers four rear sensors system. It works well, and as far as I know, the system is still available from Amazon and other sources.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate