cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best sealant for side of fifth wheel

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
So we picked up our brand new fifth wheel last month, and though I don't think my wife is happy about it I already plan on poking holes in it ๐Ÿ™‚

I am going to mount a cell booster antenna on the side and so I need to poke a hole through the side of the rig to run the antenna wire through.

The question though is what is the best sealant that I should use on the side of the 5th wheel to seal up that hole I just created.

Thanks for your time.
12 REPLIES 12

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Victory402 wrote:
Proflex or non sag Dicor. Most of us try to avoid silicone.

+1

I use Proflex, but either are great.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

billy79
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I am going to order something this week and hopefully knock this project out ๐Ÿ™‚

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Barney's marine through hole fitting is a good idea. For just sealing screw holes etc. I use 3M 4000 or 5200 depending on what I'm sealing.

I agree and also use the 3M Marine adhesive adhesive/sealants. In general I like the 4000 UV since the 5200 is more permanent and not UV protected. However, I have some 5200 that is 5+ years old and still looks new.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Barney's marine through hole fitting is a good idea. For just sealing screw holes etc. I use 3M 4000 or 5200 depending on what I'm sealing.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Barney's marine through hole fitting is the best, allows a user to vacate the wire in the future and provides good sealing. If the OP just wishes to drill a hole in the siding, Geocel sealants are the best, IMO. I use Tripolymer 2300 which is almost the same recipe as Proflex RV but has better elongation and strength. The 2300 is available through my local roofing distributor for less than $10/tube.

Another way to accomplish the through-wall access is to use a plate and mount coax fittings on the plate. Seal the plate to the exterior of the RV. I did this for TV and radio antenna leads and used 1/8" polycarbonate. I did have to attach my antenna wiring inside the wall to the exterior coax fittings but I have permanent antenna runs that are now accessed by interior wall plates.

Picture of plate:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another option without holes is... mount the antenna on a pole, clamp the pole to the edge of the extended slide, run the coax through the edge of the slide(a couple of inches from closing), when the slide is closed, the bulb seal will prevent intrusion of bugs, water etc. The seal also will not damage the coax. Takes about 5 minutes to install/remove.

Jim

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
3M makes the best marine product for this.
I just did "minor repair" and used this and good for underwater on boats. Lowes has this in stock for around 14 dollars a tube 3m 5200

3M 5200
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would use a Marine waterproof through-deck fitting and butyl tape to seal it.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Proflex from amazon is about 15 bucks a tube,free shipping.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had to remove an attachment to make a minor repair and I did not have any proper Dicor or similar product on hand.

I grabbed some household silicone and used that.

6 months later the silicone was flapping in the breeze and falling off.

2007 factory proper sealant beside it was perfect as the day it was put on.

Proper sealant is not cheeper.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Victory402 wrote:

What he said.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer