Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Centre stabilizing jacks

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
BACKGROUND

While camping we use the trailer's corner stabilizing jacks and we chock the wheels securely. Nevertheless, when someone is moving around in the trailer it's easily felt by those who are stationary. That's what led us to this mod - a third set of stabilizing jacks near the centre of the trailer to reduce the bounce and wiggle when parked.

These are scissor jacks rated at 2268 kg (5000 lbs) each. We got the pair on sale at Princess Auto for just under $50.

ISSUES

On the curb side of the trailer there is a propane line attached to and hanging down from the inside of the frame - you can see it in the photo above. My first thought was to use a spacer.

On closer inspection, I found I could centre the flange by grinding off a bit of the jack brackets.

(As it turns out, x=3/8")

Excess removed.

The brackets are painted and reinstalled on the jack.

2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2013 Ford F-150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400.
restcure.ca
18 REPLIES 18

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
JD and Beastlet wrote:
I set up a 5-1/2" stop block on my mitre saw and got to work. Total yield from the four planks: 68 pads.

With the spreading wheel chocks installed and the highest possible set of blocks under each jack, it seemed to be firmer... but it's hard to test with one, so when Dawn comes home we'll have the official word.

If these aren't good enough, no worries - the pads become firewood and we consider other options. Like STEADYfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

OR JT Strong Arm Lock Stabilizers OR BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar ... lots of choices. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just haven't found it necessary to go that far with any of the dual axle trailers we've owned, finding BAL X-Chocks sufficient. Of course a third set of centre mounted stabs as you've done has always been a popular mod that many find quite effective, 'though I'd probably have first tried a set of adjustable stacker jacks instead.

I know you enjoy a challenge John but using so many blocks under each stabilizer is IMO way overkill when all you need is just a sufficient number so the stabs aren't fully extended in order to reach the ground. Some time ago I was gifted a set of 16 plastic blocks so I secured them together in sets of 4 each and use those as required under the stabs and have yet to run into any situation in which that number weren't sufficient ...

Of course they're far lighter than all those wood blocks you've assembled yet their footprint is also more than twice that of your 5.5" x 5.5" blocks.

Since our driveway slopes significantly toward the street I also use these same plastic blocks, two 4x stacks under the front stabs, none under the rear, so they in effect see full time use throughout the camping season. Here in Canadaland plastic blocks like these are of course way too costly, as is just about anything else RV related, but even the venerable Lynx Levelers are a mere $30+ US for a set of 10 at US WallyWorld stores. ๐Ÿ™‚

We're bringing the blocks to PEI with us for a full-on camping test. I'll report back on how well our new attempts at stabilization actually work.
restcure.ca

rickhise
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I'm exhausted trying to follow all the tips On how to stabilize, (With 4 Connors an tongue jack.) Ant happening jack on my unit. 2 in the middle an she gets to roll over all night without me yelling stay still

Will get em on b4 next trip. May even play with setting them at different point b4 I fasten them to fframe. Also my last thought was blocks may absorb more than the plastic dominoes

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JD and Beastlet wrote:
I set up a 5-1/2" stop block on my mitre saw and got to work. Total yield from the four planks: 68 pads.

With the spreading wheel chocks installed and the highest possible set of blocks under each jack, it seemed to be firmer... but it's hard to test with one, so when Dawn comes home we'll have the official word.

If these aren't good enough, no worries - the pads become firewood and we consider other options. Like STEADYfast. ๐Ÿ™‚

OR JT Strong Arm Lock Stabilizers OR BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bar ... lots of choices. ๐Ÿ™‚ I just haven't found it necessary to go that far with any of the dual axle trailers we've owned, finding BAL X-Chocks sufficient. Of course a third set of centre mounted stabs as you've done has always been a popular mod that many find quite effective, 'though I'd probably have first tried a set of adjustable stacker jacks instead.

I know you enjoy a challenge John but using so many blocks under each stabilizer is IMO way overkill when all you need is just a sufficient number so the stabs aren't fully extended in order to reach the ground. Some time ago I was gifted a set of 16 plastic blocks so I secured them together in sets of 4 each and use those as required under the stabs and have yet to run into any situation in which that number weren't sufficient ...

Of course they're far lighter than all those wood blocks you've assembled yet their footprint is also more than twice that of your 5.5" x 5.5" blocks.

Since our driveway slopes significantly toward the street I also use these same plastic blocks, two 4x stacks under the front stabs, none under the rear, so they in effect see full time use throughout the camping season. Here in Canadaland plastic blocks like these are of course way too costly, as is just about anything else RV related, but even the venerable Lynx Levelers are a mere $30+ US for a set of 10 at US WallyWorld stores. ๐Ÿ™‚
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^^That's a great idea^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have at least one out in the garage. I'll take it next trip. Thanks
Puma 30RKSS

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work.

If anyone needs a jack, check the local junk yards. They're in about every car on the lot and if you pay more than 5 bucks each you're paying to much. Just find one that will work out of a common make and model. You'll be able to find 4 that match if you call around. Most of them get crushed with the car. Nobody wants them.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
One of my first mods was to put a set of stabilizers between the front jacks and the wheels on our 5th wheel. With the power drill and a socket it is a snap to extend and retract them plus it makes the camper rock solid. Especially when the grandkids are with us...they cannot just walk they have to jump and hop......

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Well done and GREAT writeup. And your comments on drilling into steel on your back are SO true. LOL

Thanks!

We did the test when Dawn came home and things are a lot firmer. The centre jacks are rated at 5000 lbs each and the trailer weighs a little shy of 6000 lbs so we can take a LOT of weight off the wheels with these.
restcure.ca

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using two additional stabilizers placed under the center of our TT as well. It's 37.5 ft long, and it came with power stabilizer jacks which in my opinion are junk for trying to stabilize a camper. But adding the two scissor jacks definitely made it more stable. I plan on welding two flat steel plates to the frame to mount them permanently.
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Well done and GREAT writeup. And your comments on drilling into steel on your back are SO true. LOL
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
I took some measurements and did some calculations, arriving at a modular set that could be made for each jack from 2 x 6 lumber: Blocks of 4, 3, 2 and 1 pads each. Since 2 x 6s are actually 1-1/2" x 5-1/2", square pads would be 5-1/2" x 5-1/2" x 1-1/2" and 60 of them would be needed. That's 4 8' lengths of 2 x 6, CAD 4.89 each.

Cabinetmaker's glue was used to join the blocks together; each was rotated 90ยบ from the one below it to cross the grain. Blocks were stacked on blocks to provide clamping pressure. Just eyeball carpentry - nothing fancy.

The six sets fit perfectly in the Rubbermaid bin I was hoping to use for storage.

As you can imagine, pads cut with a mitre saw might have a splinter or two looking for a host hand. So I brought my router table outside, fitted with a slightly retracted 3/8" roundover bit.

Test pad looks good...

... so I did them all.

restcure.ca

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
JD, something to consider, if making them from wood, I've seen many who have made a box out of 2 inch stock then stick a handle on them. I use bot some wood and plastic blocks. I like the plastic as they are lighter to move and camping on the wet side of Oregon a lot, they don't take on water. I will put down a piece of wood first when on an unsaved surface.. Good luck!
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
JD and Beastlet wrote:
Thanks for the comments, folks. A fellow camper pointed out that the less the jacks are deployed the more stable they are, longer arms being more prone to wiggle... I'm going to pick up a couple of lengths 2 x 6 and make a pile of pads for stacking (much cheaper than the lego blocks).
Treated 4x6's work well.

JD_and_Beastlet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments, folks. A fellow camper pointed out that the less the jacks are deployed the more stable they are, longer arms being more prone to wiggle... I'm going to pick up a couple of lengths 2 x 6 and make a pile of pads for stacking (much cheaper than the lego blocks).
restcure.ca

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
That has been on my list to do all summer but we haven't been home long enough to get it done.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK