cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Workstation options in an RV

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to spend a lot of time on a computer in an RV. Ergonomics are not ideal so you can develop or exacerbate strain injuries. Space is typically very limited to improve ergos. What are some options?

In the last two years I have switched to a standup workstation at work and I only sit down when someone visits my office to talk. Standing up is so natural now that I want to do the same in my RV.

I have documented my setups here: http://bit.ly/2ViBJHh

Hope this gives others ideas for their own improved ergos and comfort.

Would be interested in seeing what others have done.
6 REPLIES 6

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do take care of your knees and hips - well feet too. Ask anyone who worked on their feet for years. Those joints will all bother you later. Do take breaks from standing.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I do work from my RV and needed a decent desk. On the last rig, I had a dresser that I was able to convert into a desk area. It featured a shelf for the monitor, a pull out drawer for the laptop, and a fold out area for the ergonomic keyboard + mouse to sit on. It actually worked quite well.

Full write-up of the design and final product:
https://learntorv.com/building-a-desk-working-from-my-rv/

In the new camper, I'm looking at using a fold-up shelf and an fully articulated monitor mount for the wall. The shelf will hold laptop, keyboard, and mouse. I just need to figure out storage for nights for them.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you have to work from your RV, a computer work station is a non-issue. Like others said, a couch will do. Or a dinner table.

Any substantial browsing requires at least 15" screen and an adequately sized keyboard. Tablets or smartphones don't cut it. Watching local or web videos on a TV is a different matter, on-screen interface and remote and/or mini-keyboard will do. Or a smartphone (not necessarily iOS), though I find a remote with tactile feedback more convenient than smarthone.

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned my focus is on production of work, not consumption or viewing which I generally do with phone or tablet

Large amounts of very fast typing

Precision CAD-type drawing

Photo editing

Video editing, several windows

Programming, several windows

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once we got iPads/iPhones and got rid of our need for anything Microsoft based, we just sit or stand as desired. We do also have a Microsoft Surface we too can be used as a tablet, so no need for a table or platform.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We just slouch in the couch!