cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front TV

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
I want to modify the front TV cabinet in my Bounder. The previous owner put in an LED TV but left the cabinet original depth. I would like to remove about 4" off depth. Thoughts or advice appreciated.
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!
9 REPLIES 9

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
You've already got the same answer I'd give as an amateur cabinetmaker. Cut it down from the back. It's the only way to save all the trim, make sure doors still fit, etc.

Even then - it's not easy to do. Trimming the same amount of wood off all sides of a box can be a challenge. Be careful, many cheap cabinets are particle board which doesn't take a shear force well, the back panel itself lends some structural intergrity.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Before fixing the cabinet, one question I'd ask myself would be IS THIS WHERE I WANT THE TV?

My answer was no so I moved the TV so you can now watch it from the couch without turned your head sideways. I used a swivel mount so it can be seen from anywhere in the RV.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I also like that idea of trimming back the cabinet on an angle to recuse banging my head and to put my flat screen on an angle to see it properly when sitting on couch. 94 Bounder DP.

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Bill, that was what I was looking for. What you did sounds like what I want to do. Good idea about the printer also. My neighbor is a finish and trim carpenter so either he or one of his fellow workers probably can do the job.
Go Bucks!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our 2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S instead of taking the same amount off of cabinet all the way around, on the front of the cabinet, I changed the front angle taking four inches off at the bottom and two inches at the top. Now people don't hit their head entering the MH.

When I cut the front off of the original cabinet, I did not remove it from the MH. After you remove the old TV you can get to the finishing cover of the cabinet from the inside. Take out all of the staples and peal it back towards the windshield. After having marked where you want to cut it, use a saber saw on it. When I got close to the ceiling, I slid a cookie sheet in between the top edge of the TV box and the ceiling. I cut the sides off the cookie sheet and sanded down any rough edges. Then I used a small handsaw to continue the cut to the ceiling. The cookie sheet protected the ceiling from the saw blade just fine.

We then went to Costco and got a new flat screen and built a new front to the cabinet. I went to local cabinet shop and had them build the new front. Then I built a frame around the flat screen and attached it to the new front. The front is hinged with a double hidden hinge running on the right side from the top to the bottom of the cabinet.

Now with all of the space left in the smaller cabinet behind the TV I put in a shelf where the wireless computer printer sits along with the wireless modem. We have a Velcro strap over it to keep it from bouncing. It's very nice to have a wireless color printer in the MH and it's even nicer that we don't have to get it out and hook it up every time we want to use it. We do have to open the front of the cabinet to make room for the printer output tray.

The combined weight of the new TV, printer, router and other printer supplies is a lot less than the original TV.

When the cabinet guy came over to help mount the TV I also had him install all new heavy duty ball bearing drawer slides in all of the cabinets. I've found that for jobs like this it's far better to go over and personally talk to some small cabinet shop. Explain what you want, that you're not in a big hurry and it can be done on a weekend for cash. Have the guy come over, take the measurements, look at what finish and style he has to match on the rest of the cabinets. They'll usually work on it in the evenings and then install it on a Sunday when they're off. I've always had good luck with this approach. The larger shops are harder to deal with.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a little carpentry is in order. How about a pic so we can see what your working with.

You know what they say don't ya? A little putty, a little paint makes a carpenter what they ain't.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can probably be done, but might require a pro, depending on your talents.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
I want to decrease the over all depth of the cabinet. TV sits back about 6" from front. The cabinet protrudes far enough that when you enter coach you can bump your head.
Go Bucks!

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Remove 4" - do you want to physically remove 4" of wood? In other words, if the cabinet is 12" deep, you want to make it 8"?

Or do you want to move the TV forward, so it doesn't sit back in so far?