cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help w/ hot water heater

ToniGWhite
Explorer
Explorer

I’m in over my head on this one! Just bought my first travel trailer! Her name is Addie (short for Adventurer). I have the electric and water on. She’s stable and level. I filled the fresh water tank (after sanitizing) and have the pump on. I have a propane cylinder connected. Sooooo….

Hot Water heater is next but the instructions I was given don’t really tell me squat!! I see a hot water heater button where the pump on/off switch and where the tank levels/battery level is hanging on the wall. I just be scared to push that button but I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything and ruin the pump or the heater. I do t know about the furnace either. Gas pretty much makes me nervous with the exception of a gas range.

I have a pic of the furnace- it’s filthy and I see no power? Pic attached!

Toni

IMG_6752.jpeg

& Addie

6 REPLIES 6

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

You're probably past this point. But before you turn on the heat and cause damage  I would definitely turn off the water pump and flip up that lever on the pressure relief valve and see if water comes out. If no water then leave the valve open and turn on the water pump until water comes out of the valve. If water never comes out then your water heater is bypassed. If the heater is bypassed you need to find the valves for the bypass and set them to fill the heater.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wyocowboy00
Explorer II
Explorer II

I agree with Tammy & Mike.  Make sure your water heater has water in it before you turn on either the propane or electric to your water heater.  To do this, open the hot water faucet at your sink and turn on your pump switch.  If you don't get a steady stream of water out of your faucet, your water heater is empty.  Check for leaks at all your sinks, toilets, etc, including your water heater inside and out.  If you hear your pump running and you still have no water coming from your hot water faucet at your sink, and you have no leaks, then it is probably filling your water heater tank.  When that tank fills, you should have water coming out of your hot water faucet.  If your pump shuts off by itself, then there is probably a bypass (winterizing) valve that needs to be opened to get water into the water heater tank.  After the water heater tank is filled, then turn on the electric and propane switches to your water heater.

2012 Chev. Silverado 3500HD DRW 4 X 4
2013 Arctic Fox 992 240 watts solar
Jerry & Judy

Simpler,  pull the lever on the pressure relief valve.  If it does nothing,  it's set to bypass. If you hear air, it's filling the hot water tank. If it spits water,  it's full and ready to turn on. 

Don't try it if the tank is hot as you can get scalded.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Pressure relief valve - can’t find it. Why don’t manufacturers give you a diagram to show where everything is???!!!!

In your picture it's the blue valve at the top. 

They do typically include the manuals but the original owner may or may no have kept them. If you go online, and search for the model, you should be able to download the manual.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

First make sure there is water in the hot water heater.  Turn on the electric with no water and it will burn out in seconds.  Most rvs have a bypass for winterizing and you drain it for winter.

Once you are sure it's filled,  you can use electric or propane.  For electric make sure the breaker is on and then turn the outside switch on. In about 20min the water should be at least warm. For propane,  make sure you have propane and the tank is on. Then turn the inside switch on. If  you go outside you should hear it fire up and feel the heat by the vent. 

You can run electric and propane together for faster heating but make sure both are working. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'