cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House battery holder

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I completed a "little" project today that ended up being not quite so little as I had hoped.

Like many class C's, my motorhome has the house battery bank in a tray underneath the entry steps. The overall goal was to replace the (no longer functional) single 12V house battery with a pair of 6V golf cart batteries. The battery tray was clearly designed to be able to hold two batteries, so that should have been pretty simple.

Unfortunately, there's a propane line with an angle iron to protect it that limited the vertical clearance to an inch or so less than the height of a golf cart battery. The angle iron plainly serves no essential structural function.

One solution would be to splice some more tubing in the propane line (adding a couple of joints), form it into an upside-down U shape to clear the batteries, and remove or relocate the angle iron. I didn't really care to do this, though in hindsight it would probably have been quicker and easier.

The other solution was to rebuild/rework the battery tray to extend down a little more, and this is what I have done. I did also trim the angle iron somewhat lengthwise to gain a little additional clearance. (That was a rather laborious process, as many cutting tools would endanger the nearby propane line. I ended up using a jigsaw with a supplemental base to ensure the blade wouldn't go far enough to hit the line.)

Here's the new tray, bolted to the supports from the original one. The original was all welded together; the new one is bolted, as I have neither the tools nor the skills to weld. There are wooden strips (the gray bumper things) along the sides to keep the batteries somewhat centered in the rack; without them, the golf cart batteries can shift such that only about a quarter inch is supported on one end.

To hold the batteries down, I'm using a couple of nylon tie-down straps and buckles, attaching them to D rings with split chain links. The hooks that the straps came with were rather too large and cumbersome for the space available. I build up some wood blocks to guide the straps over the batteries without their running afoul of the filler caps, etc. Here are the wood blocks I made up for the tops of the batteries.

And here everything is all put together. Checking the water of the back battery (in particular) will plainly be inconvenient.

3 REPLIES 3

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the kind comments!

Although it's not too clear in the pictures, mine are also accessed through a hinged step, and so require the disconnection and removal of the front battery to get at the rear one. With any luck, that shouldn't be too frequently necessary (thanks partly to a PD 9245 converter). Regardless, for my usage at least, the added battery capacity more than makes up for the inconvenience.

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Nice fix, ours you get at by lifting a hinged step. To check the second battery you have to remove one first. This is on the redo list for this winter.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Nice Job!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.