cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How I reseal our RV windows

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first few windows we resealed were the ones we removed to rebuild the rear walls. This is where we made our mistakes and figured out what works. Our two most important lessons learned was to use extra butyl take on the sides with an aluminum sided trailer to fill all the gaps and to give the butyl tape time to squeeze out before trimming. If you seal over the butyl tape too soon it will bulge the caulk out.

Check out our video to see how we reseal our RV windows (I must say I look unusually handsome)
https://youtu.be/belS_95xLcA

We also have additional details on our blog:
http://www.rvcircus.com/reseal-rv-windows-right-way/

1-To get started, remove the window trim from the inside of the RV (itโ€™s a good idea to support the window from the outside when doing this).

2-After the window is free youโ€™ll need to cut any caulk and pry the window out from outside.

3-Once the window is out of the hole youโ€™ll need to spend some time cleaning off all the old sealant. Make sure the surfaces are clean where the window seals against the trailer and be sure to remove all traces of silicone if it was used in the past.

4-Now that the window is clean apply the butyl tape all the way around the window frame. I add an extra layer of butyl on the sides where the aluminum siding is uneven.

5-Now that the butyl tape has been applied you can reinstall the window. Again, support the window from the outside so you donโ€™t push it out when installing the window trim. When tightening the screws on the window trim tighten a little at a time and rotate around the window to pull it in evenly.

6-What I look for is that the butyl tape squeezes out and fills all the gaps around the window. I give it a day or 2 for the rubber to stop squeezing out around the windows before trimming it. I then apply a RV specific sealant to the edges to seal it nicely.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
8 REPLIES 8

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen Geocel anything here locally and have been ordering online. My buddy used to own a roofing business, so I'll see if he has any idea where I might be able to find some. It would be really nice not to have to order it.

westend wrote:
In my area, the Geocel line is hard to find. I found a roofing distributor that stocked Geocel Tripolymer 2300. It is almost identical to Proflex but has just a bit more elongation and tensile strength. I am down to my last tube so will have to get more of this or similar. Geocel also makes OEM truck/trailer and mobile home sealants. I haven't read all the data sheets but some of them look promising.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
Thanks for checking it out! I'm glad someone besides me thought the intro was funny:D

I usually strive to be handsome or handy (I'll never be both), but my wife and I don't always agree on which I am. I'm going with handsome for sure.

I love Proflex...it's the best sealant I've used. I just finished off my last tube and will be ordering more just to have around.

westend wrote:
Check out our video to see how we reseal our RV windows (I must say I look unusually handsome)

Don't forget our mission statement: "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" :B

I especially liked the intro. You are showing a lot of skill in the video compiling, keep them coming!

BTW, nice work on the window. That Proflex is all it should be, correct?
In my area, the Geocel line is hard to find. I found a roofing distributor that stocked Geocel Tripolymer 2300. It is almost identical to Proflex but has just a bit more elongation and tensile strength. I am down to my last tube so will have to get more of this or similar. Geocel also makes OEM truck/trailer and mobile home sealants. I haven't read all the data sheets but some of them look promising.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a Dasco 2231 9 1/2" Trip/Pry bar. I picked it up in a 3 pack at Home Depot. Here it is on Amazon for $10. I'm always using them for something...great buy.

http://amzn.to/1QFxpN1

93Cobra2771 wrote:
What kind of little trim tool is that that you used to break the original seal? Looks kinda handy. Got a link?

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for checking it out! I'm glad someone besides me thought the intro was funny:D

I usually strive to be handsome or handy (I'll never be both), but my wife and I don't always agree on which I am. I'm going with handsome for sure.

I love Proflex...it's the best sealant I've used. I just finished off my last tube and will be ordering more just to have around.

westend wrote:

Don't forget our mission statement: "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" :B

I especially liked the intro. You are showing a lot of skill in the video compiling, keep them coming!

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of little trim tool is that that you used to break the original seal? Looks kinda handy. Got a link?
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for checking it out! I appreciate the feedback.

This how to is certainly for this specific style window and won't work for all.

Dutch_12078 wrote:
Good info! If you're planning to remove any RV windows though, before rushing out and stocking up on butyl tape to reseal them, check to make sure you'll need it. Some flat surfaced RV's have rubber gasketed windows instead of tape, while others use the same mastic that's used to seal windshields in place.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info! If you're planning to remove any RV windows though, before rushing out and stocking up on butyl tape to reseal them, check to make sure you'll need it. Some flat surfaced RV's have rubber gasketed windows instead of tape, while others use the same mastic that's used to seal windshields in place.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate