cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

jackknife sofa removal

Bandaid
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to have optional factory theater seat recliners installed in my 2021 Sunseeker Classic, by Forest River. Presently, the unit has a jackknife sofa where the theater seats will be. I want to remove the sofa before the new seats are installed, mostly to save installation time, as the installing dealer get $174 per hour shop rate.
I am a hand guy, with lots of tools and automotive experience, so I am pretty sure I can handle removal of the old sofa. However, has anyone else with a class C done a removal like this? Is the sofa taken out in one piece, or is best to disassemble it and remove it in pieces?
I do plan to advertise the couch and recover some money, as it is in excellent condition.

Thanks,

Bandaid
8 REPLIES 8

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

It depends on the RV. If it's a trailer it possible that ledge is the wheel well of one of the tires.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Lewishnl
Explorer
Explorer

Our jackknife sofa has a ledge behind it (7โ€) with a narrow box below about 4โ€. Has anyone who is taking out a sofa also removed this ledge and box? Is there something important stored in the box or can it be removed to provide additional space for reclining chairs?

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
DP Class A. Two people. Unbolted from floor. Pulled it out. Opened the bed so the bed was flat. Right out the door.

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Removed it from my Class A
Remove all the bolts holding down the frame, using a lever raise the frame starting at one end and support the frame using 2x4 blocks, one in back and one in front. Repeat for middle and other end.
Make longer 2x4 blocks the length of each frame, front to back. Lever the frame up so that it is supported on two high 2x4.
The frame is now up and above the bolts coming out of the floor so the sofa can slide out without lifting.
Slide out so it can be lifted and lift so it stands on one end. Then out the door on end.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Never removed one but I've read about it more than once here.

Take the back off and out the door first. Then take the seat out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We had a 2019 Forester 27' Class C. I removed the U shaped dinette and installed a power reclining theater seat myself. The theater seat just fit thru the door with the seat backs and arm rest covers removed.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

JimJohnson
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I removed the bed first. Pretty heavy.

I haven't personally removed our jack knife sofa, but our RV repair guy recently did to replace the slide-out floor under it. The frame is likely bolted to both the floor and the wall. That's likely not a big deal to move. But unless your first name is Samson, I agree that taking the jack knifed bed out in sections is going to be much easer than trying to wrestle the whole thing through the RV entrance door.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I removed the bed first. Pretty heavy.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman