Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Led flood light mounted on back of trailer

Zede98
Explorer
Explorer
Hello this is my first post

I would like to install led flood lights to the rear of my trailer with a separate rocker switch located near the battery in front of the trailer. My thought is that I will be able to flood the area I'm trying to back into.
I would like to know thoughts on the best way to install something like this... Should I run the wire under the carriage or snaking it between the roof and ceiling?
44 REPLIES 44

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JN_B wrote:
Zede98 wrote:

I would like to install led flood lights to the rear of my trailer with a separate rocker switch located near the battery in front of the trailer. My thought is that I will be able to flood the area I'm trying to back into.
I would like to know thoughts on the best way to install something like this... Should I run the wire under the carriage or snaking it between the roof and ceiling?

Funny how off topic everyone gets..
OP wants to install the switch and lights on the trailer. Not the switch on the truck and lights on the trailer. Or both lights & switch on the truck.

Do Trailers have to get annual DOT inspections? Pretty sure not.

And besides that having both the switch and light on the trailer make it pretty hard to activate the light while driving.

If you are worried about it, but some lights with covers, then leave the covers on until you need them. Pretty hard for DOT to argue with covers, and it will protect your lights.

Personally, I would install the lights under the trailer. It would give you a better perception of the terrain, by creating shadows which would show the dips/highs of the terrain. If you lights are on top of the trailer, you won't see the dips/highs as well..

PA REQUIRES ANY MOTORIZED AND NON MOTORIZED RV (IE TRAILERS EXCEEDING 3K lbs GVW) to have an ANNUAL SAFETY INSPECTION. I suspect there ARE other states that have same or similar requirements..

When getting my trailer inspected, ALL LIGHTS which serve as markers, tail/stop/turn AND BACKUP FUNCTIONS ARE TESTED.

Failure of any these lights to work FROM THE CAB will result in a failed inspection.

Placing a switch on the trailer to operate backup lights (or lights you placed on the back FOR BACKUP PURPOSES) WILL RESULT IN A FAILED PA INSPECTION, PERIOD.

PA mechanics TEST all the marker, tail/stop/turn and backup lights to ensure they operate FROM THE CAB.

Scare lights ARE NOT THERE FOR BACKUP PURPOSES and as such are not part of PA inspection routine (they have never failed my inspection for my side door lights since that is not typically used while traveling)..

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
It is more than just mounting lights on the rear - they have to come on only when you are in REVERSE... They also have to be DOT APPROVED LENS on the lights...

This is what happened to me here in VIRGINIA when I mounted two lights on the bottom of my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer. These were turned ON by a separate switch inside my POPUP trailer.

Much like this GOOGLE IMAGE from the internet...

GOOGLE IMAGE...

They worked out pretty good for me...

Then I had to get my Virginia Safety Inspection a couple of months later and the first question I got was why those lights did not come on when he asked to put my truck in reverse... The inspector also said he could not find a DOT NUMBER stamped on the lens...

He made me remove the two lights before I could pass my DOT Safety Inspection.

After taking them off I just decided not to have any mounted. I could have added the 12VDC line from the center connector of the 7-way trailer connector but just decided I would go for lights on the side of the trailer.

Back in my JEEP DAYS I was always running into SAFETY INSPECTION problems with all of our lights mounted on bars and things... DOT just doesn't these lights to ever come on when driving down the public roads...

Sorry to start anything here from what I said - Just passing along what I went thru a couple years back. Take it for what ever it is worth... I can remove my comments if you guys like...

Roy Ken

Roy, one detail of your installation that may have worked against you is that the lights are mounted to your truck's bumper, which (it seems to me anyway) would affect which reg's they should comply with. I wonder if the safety inspector would have said anything if they were mounted to the camper, and controlled by a manual switch inside the camper? I realize that would reduce their usefulness to you most likely.

Just a thought.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
JN_B wrote:
Zede98 wrote:

OP wants to install the switch and lights on the trailer. Not the switch on the truck and lights on the trailer. Or both lights & switch on the truck.

And besides that having both the switch and light on the trailer make it pretty hard to activate the light while driving.

If you are worried about it, but some lights with covers, then leave the covers on until you need them. Pretty hard for DOT to argue with covers, and it will protect your lights.

Personally, I would install the lights under the trailer. It would give you a better perception of the terrain, by creating shadows which would show the dips/highs of the terrain. If you lights are on top of the trailer, you won't see the dips/highs as well..

DOT can inspect any time they want, state inspections are annual here in NY (yes a trailer has to be inspected here).

I have both the Loading/unloading lights and the switch in the trailer.

If the trailer is an enclosed car carrier and the purpose of the lights is for loading and unloading the rear gate would be down blocking lights under the trailer.

I have the unloading/loading lights on the top rear.

I put LED boat bow lights on the lower edge and on the sides of the trailer two per side. They work well as they are angled to point straight off a pointed boat bow, so on the side of the trailer they are angle out and to the rear of the trailer. I wired them to come on when the Motor Home is in reverse.

These are the lights I used. Surface mount docking lights.

If I had it to do over I would have used regular Halogen Lamp spot lights.

LED lights are bright to look at but I do not think they throw light as well as the old school filament lights.

Just my thoughts.

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
Zede98 wrote:

2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I believe many toy haulers come from the factory with installed white loading lights on the rear. I bet the so called rule requires them to be wired into the trailers 12 volt system only with a switch mounted inside the trailer.

Unit505
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
DOT will ticket for having a red lenses facing forward and an yellow lenses facing backward, so I'm not so sure there are not some regulations on flood lights. The other side of that is currently clear backup lights are legal.

Not exactly. Allot of vehicles come equipped with yellow flashers. DOT allows for rear facing work lights with a manual switch inside the cab. I have amber led flashers on the rear of my cab guard that I've used for years. If your hauling a big load, roadside work or some legitimate excuse, they won't mess with you. Flood lights are the same way. If your not driving down the road with them on, then they are not a problem. Way too many company roadside vehicles, welders and other work trucks with flood lights all over them. Responsibility is the key and the difference in court should you run across a LEO having a bad day. I know, I'm married to one.

They cannot force you to remove a set of work lights. Your white bed light on your truck tht can be manually operated is proof of that.
KC5JLB Jeff
KC5KDB Kim

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
jjj wrote:
I mounted 2 small 50 watt driving lights under my rear molded bumper and also mounted 2 of them on the side just about 2 feet ahead of the wheels and angled them outward to shine on the ground so I can see the ground and the wheels. I mounted the switches,1 for the rears and 1 for the side ones,inside the battery compartment so when I was ready to back up I just turn them on while I was doing my maneuvering and turned them off when I was done. It works for me.

The problem with this is what RoyB eluded too.. Some states which have an "inspection" of your vehicle, the mechanics WILL FAIL the inspection unless you REMOVE said lights or PROVE that they can not be activated WHILE DRIVING IN A FORWARD GEAR. Some mechanics are worse than others so you might find one that is fine with it and others may be sticklers and force you to remove the offending lights on the spot.

Those states which do not have an inspection (and even the ones that do) your vehicle may be pulled over and you potentially can be fined and or or you may need to remove on the spot if your MANUALLY ACTIVATED LIGHTS ARE ON WHILE MOVING IN A FORWARD DIRECTION..

It is a safety thing, blinding other motorists is a bad thing.

It is for that reason any lights which are not facing forward SHOULD BE ONLY ACTIVE DURING REVERSE.

Even pickup trucks with a "cargo" light to light the bed area the lights can ONLY BE TURNED ON WITH THE INTERIOR LIGHTS.. It isn't like you are going to drive at night with your interior lights turned on..

There IS a REASON to the madness and if you understand the reasoning you can safely add additional lighting provided you follow the same rules as the manufacturer..

Pretty simple, rear facing lights if connected to the reverse light circuit and you PROVE they can not be activated in any forward gear will not be an issue..

"Scare" lights are a different creature.. They are not intended to be on during transit and the driver takes the risk of ensuring they are not on while traveling..

lots of double talk. you can have them but you can't have them but if you promise to not turn them on while driving, etc. the truck cargo area light is a perfect example. it CAN be turned on while driving. the law does not say that since it is unlikely, etc. etc. and SCARE lights won't flunk a vehicle.

bumpy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jjj wrote:
I mounted 2 small 50 watt driving lights under my rear molded bumper and also mounted 2 of them on the side just about 2 feet ahead of the wheels and angled them outward to shine on the ground so I can see the ground and the wheels. I mounted the switches,1 for the rears and 1 for the side ones,inside the battery compartment so when I was ready to back up I just turn them on while I was doing my maneuvering and turned them off when I was done. It works for me.

The problem with this is what RoyB eluded too.. Some states which have an "inspection" of your vehicle, the mechanics WILL FAIL the inspection unless you REMOVE said lights or PROVE that they can not be activated WHILE DRIVING IN A FORWARD GEAR. Some mechanics are worse than others so you might find one that is fine with it and others may be sticklers and force you to remove the offending lights on the spot.

Those states which do not have an inspection (and even the ones that do) your vehicle may be pulled over and you potentially can be fined and or or you may need to remove on the spot if your MANUALLY ACTIVATED LIGHTS ARE ON WHILE MOVING IN A FORWARD DIRECTION..

It is a safety thing, blinding other motorists is a bad thing.

It is for that reason any lights which are not facing forward SHOULD BE ONLY ACTIVE DURING REVERSE.

Even pickup trucks with a "cargo" light to light the bed area the lights can ONLY BE TURNED ON WITH THE INTERIOR LIGHTS.. It isn't like you are going to drive at night with your interior lights turned on..

There IS a REASON to the madness and if you understand the reasoning you can safely add additional lighting provided you follow the same rules as the manufacturer..

Pretty simple, rear facing lights if connected to the reverse light circuit and you PROVE they can not be activated in any forward gear will not be an issue..

"Scare" lights are a different creature.. They are not intended to be on during transit and the driver takes the risk of ensuring they are not on while traveling..

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Given the fact that anytime you are backing into a spot at night you should get out of the truck and walk back and have a good look at the area you are backing into.

So take your flashlight lay it on the ground with the beam facing forward on a line that you want the trailer to be on and back down that. Many truck drivers do this when backing from daylight into a dark inside dock when the difference in lighting makes it impossible to see anything in your mirrors and it works.

With a manual switch on lights it will be way too easy to accidentally leave it on and:
A. run down your battery
B. get a ticket because you have left it on at night while traveling
C. Both of the above

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bumpyroad wrote:
why aren't these legal "scare lights" that you can get on many RVs?
bumpy

Exactly, more proof you can put what ever lights you want on your RV as long as you cant use them going down the road.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
DOT will ticket for having a red lenses facing forward and an yellow lenses facing backward, so I'm not so sure there are not some regulations on flood lights. The other side of that is currently clear backup lights are legal.

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
you can install any light you want on the rear of your trailer.
It is all about turning ON that light. As long as you do not turn it on while on-highway/road/streets etc then you are ok.

DOT cares only about lights used for ON-highway use/ that is why Off roaders can install Off Road lights without a problem. They do not use them On-Road.

People please read first before you suggest someone else to read it. No offence meant here.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why aren't these legal "scare lights" that you can get on many RVs?
bumpy

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a few extra nickels - I wonder if a backup camera with LED lights would suit your needs. You could see what is directly behind you and I'm not so sure a backup camera could be considered to be a backup light. I have no direct experience-just my thoughts-but I have been looking at backup cameras as a solution.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.