cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MaxxFan - Installation Sucess

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
I did an upgrade on our Shadow Cruiser popup truck camper roof fan over the last couple of days. Here are the highlights.

Previous owner had added a MaxxAir cover over the factory vent so it could be left open in the rain. The restrictions of an extra screen and louvers made the small factory fan worthless and it was also a very noisy one speed fan. The PO also was in love with silicon sealer so the MaxxAir was a lot of fun to remove, he must have used 2 or 3 tubes of silicon on it. The factory fan (and sealer) wasn't to bad to remove once I got to it. Found a life savor for the last of the silicon removal. I used a razor knives to cut as much of the sealer away as possible without doing damage then picked up some McKanica silicon remover. A bit expensive but I applied a generous coating and left it set for 3 hours and 90% of the job was done. Anded a new coating and left it for 2 hours (should have left it a bit longer) and I had a 99% clean surface. If I was to use it again I would let the first application set for 4 hours. The silicon was actually outside the new seal area but I wanted a clean roof.

My roof was just a little thicker than the minimum 1.125" that MaxxFan requires without adding extra spacers. After a final wipe down with mineral spirits to get rid of any original fan sealer, I put Butyl tape between the mounting flange and the roof, and used Dicor self leveling sealer on all the screws and around the vent for an extra seal. Pretty much just followed directions.

Here are a few pictures of the final results.

I mounted the remote by the door so I could start up the fan before I go in on hot days and also so I can use it to suck in the canvas when I'm cranking down the top. I can then just reach in and shut the fan off without going back inside. I had heard about people doing that and I tried it today and it works great. Still a bit of tucking by the vertical posts but that's it.

Here are the current draw I measured at the 10 different fan speeds, actually less than the factory claims.

10% - 200ma
20% - 300ma
30% - 450ma
40% - 650ma
50% - 900ma
60% - 1200ma
70% - 16o0ma
80% - 2000ma
90% - 2400ma
100% - 3100ma

Can't wait for our first outing to use the fan for real. It can be run blowing in or out and even closed just to circulate the air, which will be nice when we have the heat on since it is usually to hot up high and cold down where we are sitting.

Jim...
9 REPLIES 9

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
We have the maxxfan with remote and it is worth every cent. Pro install btw.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those of you who have no experience with these fans, I'd like to remind you that they move so much air, they need cleaned frequently to remain at optimum efficiency. You'll find the screens in your trailer also collect more dirt from the air being pulled in. Part of the deal that comes with great ventilation. They are great products and move a bunch of air.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice job. I am putting that on my list of upgrades to do. I hate the crappy fan we have in our bathroom. We have a vent in the bedroom too with no fan so when I do it I just may put it in that hole as they are only like 4 ft. appart. I only hope I can get power to it. great job.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
I wish I had the guts to do this ... I'm just too nervous about messing with the (only) year-old weather seals on my roof.

I've drilled holes in the exterior walls, and the floor, but the roof, not enough nerve yet.

Any idea why these fans are so expensive? Is it just a sales volume thing? I mean, it's a 12v automotive blower motor, a servo to crank the cover and some electronics... why $300+?

I bought it online new off eBay from an RV dealer for $257 shipped. I had to pay state tax on top of that since we were in the same state and that was top of the line MaxxFan. The smoke plastic version was more for some reason but I wanted white anyway. Another $20+ for sealers and misc. The one without the remote is about $50 cheaper. So not cheap, but we plan to have this camper for a long time and wanted a better fan. Fantastic fans can be a bit to a lot cheaper depending on what features you want, but if you want to run them in the rain or going down the road you have to add a hood to the cost. The MaxxFan just seemed to do it all and it is very well made.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had the guts to do this ... I'm just too nervous about messing with the (only) year-old weather seals on my roof.

I've drilled holes in the exterior walls, and the floor, but the roof, not enough nerve yet.

Any idea why these fans are so expensive? Is it just a sales volume thing? I mean, it's a 12v automotive blower motor, a servo to crank the cover and some electronics... why $300+?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great upgrade.

I want to replace the vent over our bed with a remote/thermostat fan. We have a 2 way fan up front (no remote or thermostat) but the middle and bedroom are just vents with rain covers. Fortunately it looks like all ours are sealed with Dicor so it should be a bit easier.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
I love our MaxxFan. We have it on 100% of the time when we are camping. It is very quiet, and we've never had a problem with it.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

ChuckandSue
Explorer
Explorer
Great installation and looks like a good upgrade.
Chuck and Sue, living the full-timing dream, but in an interim travel trailer, 2013 Starcraft AR-ONE 21WB
Tow vehicle - 2015 Ford F450
Full-timer 5th wheel - to be ordered in 2015 or 2016
Fulltime begins summer of 2017

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Very NICE!!! LOOKS GREAT
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179