cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting an outdoor sensor

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
We have an indoor/outdoor thermometer mounted on the wall next to DW's chair. I place the outdoor sensor under the right slide on a ledge. Unfortunately, I have sometimes forgot to bring it in when breaking camp. 3 sensors later I figured I should permanently mount the outdoor sensor outdoors; but where and how? Should I place it in a plastic sandwich baggie and zip tie it to my bike rack? If you have an outdoor sensor, where and how did you mount it?
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo
24 REPLIES 24

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with a mounting clip. I epoxied 2 rate earth magnets to the clip and mounted it on the trailer hitch receiver.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an "outdoor sensor", why does it need to be protected at all?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wrapped in Ziploc and zip tied to a bar where the steps are at. So far going on 4 years.

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
We use this: Ambient Weather WS-10 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8-Channel Thermo-Hygrometer with Three Remote Sensors with 2 additional sensors.
I placed a sensor in the fridge, freezer, pinbox, converter/inverter box, & a bulbed sensor in the basement with the bulb hung between the tanks.

Base unit:

Bulbed sensor:
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Our wireless sensor is wrapped in plastic and zip tied to the sewer hose. The sewer hose provides shade and I figured we wouldn't forget it. We have another one in the wet bay so we can monitor the temperature in the winter.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Mine is zip-tied to a hydraulic line behind the door where the propane tank is located.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is inside the refrigerator vent away from the heat producing components. It's wedged into a space near the electrical outlet.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Blacklane
Explorer
Explorer
While I realize this is not for everyone, I mounted my outdoor thermometer on the wall adjacent to the refrigerator. Then I removed the refrigerator, ran the sensor wires down to the floor, drilled a hole through the floor, and mounted the sensor under the camper. It really works well.

Then my brother asked, "Why didn't you just install a wireless sensor like I did?"

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is velcroed to the spare tire, under the cover, BIL has his velcroed to wires in the 5th wh. pin box

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy duty velcro up in the hitch, out of the weather. Just make sure wasps haven't found it and decided to build a nest when you have to replace the batteries.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu