cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on replacing vinyl sheet flooring

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a combination of old age and this Winter's severe temperature was too much for the vinyl flooring in my fiver - it ripped/cracked from one side to the other.
Must have shrunk first as 1/4" was pulled out from under the floor heat register.
My question - can I replace this with "Peel & Stick" tiles?
I have removed all the vinyl and the plywood underneath is smooth, clean and dry. But when I look at the instructions on a box of Armstrong tiles it tells me the temperature should never be allowed to fall below 55 degrees once the tiles are installed.
What is the downside? Will they shrink, peel off or what?
Has anyone else done this?
Any insight would be appreciated.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.
16 REPLIES 16

hwy395lvr
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the sheet vinyl in my pop-up several years ago with peel & stick vinyl tiles. The old floor was in decent shape,just dated and simply ugly. I decided against removing the existing floor and just cleaning it with TSP and removing the shine by roughing it up with 400 grit sandpaper. For better adhesion of the new tiles,I applied gorilla glue randomly to each before placement.I never had a problem with any coming loose.You may want to prep your bare floor with a sealer or maybe the gorilla glue will hold by itself. I just don't think the adhesive of those tiles is well suited for a bare wood floor,especially dealing with radical temperature changes.
"In every walk with Nature,one receives far more than he seeks"-
John Muir

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do the instructions say not to let the temp drop that low during installation and while the adhesive is curing?
I know that during those times the tiles will simply pop back off the floor if it's too cold (I've seen this happen) but after that I don't think it's as much of an issue.