cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

redecorating: upholstered trim sections remove or recover

bunny4
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have decided to redecorate my 1986 Class C Okanagan. The interior is in good condition , just a tired dull pattern. I have searched over and over for dealing with upholstered wall and trim sections (ie) between the cab and dining area, base of couch (which I am completely tearing out and redoing) and the facings on the dinette booth. All search results end up with replacing or making dinnette cushion covers. Nothing deals with the wall parts that are upholstered.
Has anyone redone this..It is just plain ugly to me and needs to be updated. I would prefer to remove all the existing fabric and just paint the wood but not sure how big of a job it might become. These pieces really seem to be well attached. As I am living in this right now I don't want an expensive or long solution. I have a carpenter making me new bed/sofa and redoing my dining table.This fabric/upholstered trim is lately making me crazy asI want to get on with painting.
any suggestions/help appreciated.
Thank you
jo
6 REPLIES 6

bunny4
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the suggestion dcason..I am painting over all the veneer wood finish also tired of looking at it ๐Ÿ™‚
and it is a small space Just paint and fabric for this go.
jo

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
How about asking that carpenter to remake the piece in say...oak?
That would look nice and no worries about redoing again, easy clean...or some pieces that are key in oak and recover the rest?

bunny4
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much! Now at least I know it is doable either way. and how to do it. I'll try and remember to post an after pic when done.
jo

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
I see why you want to recover them! The upholstery looks like it's in wonderful condition but it is kind of hideous. It shouldn't be that hard to remove the cabover sections. Pop the buttons off and start on the outer piece. See how it goes. I'm not sure but I've always believed that section was upholstered to prevent headaches from bumps but to also have a better fit and finish with all of the different pieces that have to meet. You may be able to make it all wood but if not it can be reupholstered with stapled fabric.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

bunny4
Explorer
Explorer
Yes there are some buttons. Thank you I have included a photo now to better show what I am dealing with. Great idea to have the carpenter redo the booth sides but the upholstered area between cab and inhouse is the big headache. It sounds likw I will have to remove the panels either way..to paint or recover.
I was hoping for a less frustrating solution..as I am not much of a handywoman.
upholstery pic

thanks!
jo

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
Are there buttons on the trim pieces? If so it's an easy job to remove the buttons to get to the screws that hold the trim pieces on. The wood underneath will most likely not be nice enough to paint but it's not hard to replace the fabric. Replace the padding if it's bad and staple the new fabric over top. If you want wood instead the carpenter can make new pieces by using the old ones as a guide.
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis