cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing foam in cushions

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas how to slip new foam in the covers for dinette cushions?
9 REPLIES 9

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Once the foam is in you tear the plastic apart and pull the pieces of plastic out. Sometimes it is easier than other times but it sure makes putting the foam in easier.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If you have zippered cushion covers, work the foam into a corner with just one edge of the foam's width, slide the rest of the foam into the covering a small bit at a time, straightening the cover as you go.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
We just worked it in. The new foam was a much denser grade and did take some work but we were able to do it without major effort.

Regarding the thin plastic around the original foam. On a tour of the Winnebago Stichcraft facility I saw why it is there. They put it on a special table and draw a vacuum on it which compresses it so the cover slides on easily.

If you did something similar with a plastic bag of some sort, I suppose you could just leave it in place.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I folded it in half length-wise and then spent the next 15 minutes cursing while I fought it down onto the cushion.

It didn't help that the new cushions are half to an inch thicker than the old ones. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to watch a local upholstery shop put foam in cushions; they would spray the foam with silicone spray before sliding them in the cover.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed my dinette foam cushions have a very thin plastic wrapped around them-similar to what clothes at the dry cleaners came in. I was glad it was there when someone spilled a drink. We didn't even know it was there. Depending on the fabric and how thick your plastic, maybe you could just leave it there is it doesn't affect sitting.
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
robatthelake wrote:
Like Old Guy said......You may find it easier if You wrap some plastic around the foam before stuffing the cushions. Someone told Me to put the foam in a plastic bag , then suck the air out with a vacuum to make it smaller. Seems like that would work!

Sounds like a good idea, but, once the foam and plastic bag are in the cushion cover, how do you get the plastic bag out?

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Like Old Guy said......You may find it easier if You wrap some plastic around the foam before stuffing the cushions. Someone told Me to put the foam in a plastic bag , then suck the air out with a vacuum to make it smaller. Seems like that would work!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
turn the covers inside out and pull over.