cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smart Tiles one year update and installing some more

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it's been a year since we've installed our Smart Tiles back splash and wanted to give an update. When Sandie came home with "Tile Stickers" I must say I was more than a little hesitant. My initial reaction went something like "There's no way I'm putting these fake a** tiles on the wall", but after reading up on them I decided to give them a shot. At about $10/sheet I was also put off by the price, but considering there's no need for thin set, grout, floats, sponges and a messy cleanup they all of a sudden start to look like a great value. Plus they won't chunk off the wall while we're bouncing the trailer down the road. Checkout the below video to see our Smart Tiles update and watch us install them in the bath:

https://youtu.be/6keLjLhxn3A

Now having them installed for a year I must say that I'm a believer. If you know us, we're not exactly easy on anything we own and these Smart Tiles are holding up wonderfully so far. There's absolutely no signs of wear and the adhesive (which I wasn't all that confident in) shows no signs of quitting. I must say I'd recommend these tiles to anyone looking to improve the looks of their RV without breaking the bank or sweating too much.

Since I installed the original back splash I've been squirreling away some scraps to add to the bathroom at some point. Around the bathroom counter we have some shoddy plastic trim that's cracked and broken and I've wanted to do something to make it look nicer for a while. Now that our back splash has made it a year I guess it's about time to do the bathroom and finally throw the rest of my scraps away.

If you haven't seen our original Smart Tiles install video you can check it out here:

https://youtu.be/Fu0aJ3BAmXU
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
9 REPLIES 9

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours is stored for weeks at a time. It has probably been over 100 at times and under 0 at other times so temperature swings don't seem to hurt them.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roger10378 wrote:
We are over the year on our Smart Tile installation as well. They look exactly the way they did the day I finished the installation.

stickdog wrote:
Installed ours 2 years ago and they look as good as new. Don't know how they would hold up in a seasonly stored RV as we full-time.

I'm quite impressed with how well they've held up. I'm not sure that I've ever installed something that has shown no sign of use after a year...especially with me and the kids around.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Installed ours 2 years ago and they look as good as new. Don't know how they would hold up in a seasonly stored RV as we full-time.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are over the year on our Smart Tile installation as well. They look exactly the way they did the day I finished the installation.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
yankee camper wrote:
Could they be applied to/in the shower stall? Mine is hideous and I want to fix a couple of little areas where the vinyl paper tore leaving small spots of bare board that I'm sure isn't waterproof.

From the Smart Tiles website:

It is highly inadvisable to submerge peel and stick Smart Tiles in water. Therefore, it is not recommended to install them in the shower where they will be in direct contact with water.

However, since peel and stick Smart Tiles are resistant to the humidity of bathrooms, you can place them above the shower walls. At this height, the Smart Tiles will not be in direct and continuous contact with water. If you do install them above the shower wall, and the wall is painted or gypsum, make sure that the surface is completely dry and not at all damp or else the tiles will not remain stuck to the wall.

yankee_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Could they be applied to/in the shower stall? Mine is hideous and I want to fix a couple of little areas where the vinyl paper tore leaving small spots of bare board that I'm sure isn't waterproof.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
Nice. Thanks for the update.

Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
That's very nice. We were thinking of doing something them too.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for checking it out! So far we love the new tiles and have no complaints. They make my wife happy and that's good for me in the long run.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
That's very nice. We were thinking of doing something them too.

Thanks for sharing!
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. Thanks for the update.