cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering stabilizers???

jmccen58
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse....but do stabilizers lessen driver fatigue caused by the almost constant need for minor steering wheel input? My 2011 E450 31' only has 5000 miles and 6 brand new michelin LTX AT2 tires. It weights out at 4860# on drive axle and 8649# on rear. Don't know the corner weights yet. I will have the alignment checked this week at a truck shop. If a stabilizer would help, which brand would y'all recommend....Any and all input will be appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Just a note that some maybe referring to a steering stabilizer shock while others are referring to a steering box stabilizer brace.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Camper Ken wrote:
ryanallie1 wrote:
Hi All.

Almost all Ford Chasies have "Adjustable Steering". But you must have the front end and wheels of your Motorhome off the ground, or your wasting your time and will probably make it even worse. Also check all your Steering Assy, to make sure that there are no worn parts, You also need a good Front End Alignment too.

I have adjusted my Steering on our 1998 Rexhall. Even all Ford Pick-Up Trucks have Adjustable Steering.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & Our tow small "YORKIE KID'S who love to travel as much as we do.

Can you explain "adjustable steering" please?

Thanks, Ken

Hi All.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. I have been away. On Fords, there is an Adjustable Bolt & Nut on top of the Steering Box itself. Like I said, you must have the front end and wheels off the ground to make the Adjustment.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
ryanallie1 wrote:
Hi All.

Almost all Ford Chasies have "Adjustable Steering". But you must have the front end and wheels of your Motorhome off the ground, or your wasting your time and will probably make it even worse. Also check all your Steering Assy, to make sure that there are no worn parts, You also need a good Front End Alignment too.

I have adjusted my Steering on our 1998 Rexhall. Even all Ford Pick-Up Trucks have Adjustable Steering.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & Our tow small "YORKIE KID'S who love to travel as much as we do.

Can you explain "adjustable steering" please?

Thanks, Ken
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

LangsRV2
Explorer
Explorer
We added a steering stabilizer to our 97 Dodge Ram after the mechanic told us there was not a lot we could do to fix the pay in the steering wheel. Although it didn't completely fix the problem it made it a lot better. The sooner you add the stabilizer the better. Once you have a lot of play it's not going to make as much difference. When we bought our newer Dodge we added the stabilizer right away BEFORE there was much play. It has stayed solid for several years now.
The stabilizer we got was only $125 well worth it!!!

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

"Steer-Safe, made all the difference in the word on our Motorhome. With all new Tires, Shocks and a new OEM Steering Stabilizer. Know I drive with only one hand most of the time.and find it easy to stay centered in my own driving lane.
Passing Semi's don't bother us at all. Even pretty windy days don't effect us either, unless it gets real windy, then I just use two hands. We haven't found the need yet to pull over and wait out a windy day as yet. But after 46+ years as an RV'er and Boondocker, with TT's, 5er's and Motorhomes, And over 35 years as an OTR Truck, I'm pretty much use to anything that comes my way.

Good Luck. Dan & Jill & our two small "YORKIE KID"S, who love to travel as much as we do.

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
Spend the few added $$$ and get the Safe-T-Plus.
Its a lot like a parachute - if you need it and don't have it, you may not need it again!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

jmccen58
Explorer
Explorer
So it sounds like one would help. The question now is which one. Which would get your recommendations? The Roadmaster RSSC Reflex Stabilizer Unit or the Safe-T-Plus unit?....

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer
We are enjoying our 5th MoHo - 4 Gassers and now a DP.
After reading some horror stories here and elsewhere (more years ago than I wish to reveal), I put the dual spring stabilizer (Steer-Safe) on my then MoHo. It did help in lowering the constant steering wheel motion to keep the rig 'between the lines', but on the next rig I purchased (Our DP) I installed the 'Safe-T-Steer'. I would offer the opinion that the enclosed Safe-T-Steer (while more expensive) is superior if a front tire blowout should happen. The damper of the piston makes it much easier to maintain control and there is less likelyhood of an uncontrolled loss of steering. JMHO
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
jm, my 2012 30" Lexington class c is basically the same as yours, on an E-450 cut a way, less than 4000 miles. Also have 6 new Michelin's courtesy of recall. Had the same problem of wander and constantly correcting steering. Had mine weighed and found I could lower tire pressure all around. Now running 65 psi front and 70 psi rear, and that did help a bit on the steering problem. Got the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer set up and it made a world of difference over the stock damper. It does work--didn't get rid of the problem entirely, but about 80%.
Next on list will be too get an alignment with the much talked about 5 degree positive camber.
Grumpy

WA7NDD
Explorer
Explorer
My 1998 E-350 had the same problem of constant input an inch either way, and the front tires felt like they were not on the ground, the steering was so lite, now it feels normal. Your unit is much newer so it will not have the problems mine did.

Replaced tie rod ends and drag link. Replaced caster/camber sleeves for +5 degrees of caster, new Bilstein HD shocks, then adjusted air in front tires after weighing. Check the information on loading and air for your brand of tire. Mine was Firestone Trnasforce a max inflation of 80 pounds. I am running 70 pounds in the front and 75 in the rear 4 tires.

After all that, the steering was solid, but still with a little play. I had had Tire Man brass valves installed the week before and did not check the air after they were done, then installed a Safe-T-plus steering stabilizer this last weekend. When trying to adjust it we found it would pull a little to the right or left with each adjustment. We finally tightened it down on the best spot.

The next day, I decided I should check the air in the front tires. One was at 75 pounds the other at 72 pounds, left that way after the valve install. I put both at 70 pounds,(I have a good gauge.) and drove it. Did not pull to right or left, and had very little steering input mostly because of the road conditions.

I feel the Safe-T-plus did make the final difference lessening the amount of steering input, I am satisfied and happy that I made the investment.
1998 Four Winds 5000 Rigby, ID

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Recently discussed here. This is what I posted.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures