cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

switch protector ???

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
In our new camper the awing, water heater, and light switches are right at the top of the entry steps. Unfortunately they are just at the height my 15 month old granddaughter loves to push the buttons. How have you all fixed this problem. I know there is someone out there that is crafty and figured something out. I thought maybe somehow I would hang a picture over it but not sure. Any help appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I framed around the awning and slide switches with some square trim. Then I used double sided velcro to hold a piece of paneling over the switches. Out of sight, out of mind for a 2 year old granddaughter yet still accessible by pulling the panel cover off.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to use some of that Command Tape from 3m and skip the screws unless you don't mind the screw holes once the cover is gone. Or use the screws to fill the holes leaving the heads showing. Then you could replace the cover when the next GC comes along.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the wonderful advice. I think I will try the thermostat cover. Moving the switch (8 of them) is way above my skill set. I'm just a old (young) grandma. I can screw in a few screws though.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any add-on device will likely look like an afterthought. If it were me, as suggested I'd install a new switch somewhere. I'd pull the switch out of the wall and disconnect the wires. Then extend wires up the wall to a new switch location - that is, assuming you can get wires to the a new location. If the wall is an interior wall, it will be hollow and easy to get wires into. If on the end of a cabinet, you can tuck the wires in a corner of the cabinet where you won't see it. You can always reconnect the switch in the future if desired.

Maybe you could wire the old switch to a loud buzzer, that way switches will probably never get touched again, lol.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually a separate switch is not a bad idea. Most likely all those switches have a common feed. Locate that feed and install another switch out of her reach. Then she can flip the switches all she wants. She probably loves hearing the awning open or the lights go on. Most likely wonders why some wonderful person installed them at HER level.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
With a plastic cover from the thermostats that are used in offices that have a key to open.

navegator

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of child safety devices at the big box stores and amazon.

You could also use a thermostat cover that locks
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Just lights? Let her play ๐Ÿ˜‰

Maybe put her in charge of them?

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would fix it with a switch! Just kidding.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yep! Kids love to push buttons.... Funny though ... so do adults! Enjoy the little one as much as you can. They grow up way to fast. My daughter had her 4th baby yesterday! Hard to believe!