cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

taking out the bunks???

Rich_Mar
Explorer
Explorer
I don't need the bunk bed set up but would like the space to put a recliner and small table. Has anyone ever removed the bunks for whatever reason and have it look ok? Difficult? This is on a class c that I am thinking of buying. thanks
rich
2 REPLIES 2

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We have two bunks on a slide in our Class C. Although I didn't remove them permanently, I did remove the bottom bunk to make it wider (kids complained it was too narrow and didn't want to sleep on them any more). I couldn't really widen the top bunk without a vertical support to the floor, so I left the top bunk alone. We only need the one bunk and we use the top for storage.

I removed the entire bottom bunk in the process. The bunk was framed all one piece and then that was attached to the wall with 2 screws on each short side and 4 screws on the long side. I think it would be doable to put a small recliner and a small table. On ours, there is an electrical box on the floor to power the slide. There is just a small hole in the floor for the wiring. It is in the middle of the floor.

The floor on our slide is about 34" wide. I've never measured a recliner, but I doubt a full size recliner would fit and still recline along the long wall. You could probably get a small recline to work.

When the kids first stopped using the bunks, we thought about removing both and making that space an office. Then we thought maybe a love seat. We ultimately decided to just make the bottom bunk wider so it is the same width as a standard twin mattress. It is only 2 inches shorter than a standard twin. Our son has slept on it a few nights and loves it.

I think it would look good if you could find a recliner to fit. Weight however could be an issue. The bed frames are pretty light, recliners are not.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
never did it but shouldn't be to hard matching the walls could be tough but if it's set back an off color could be nice
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown