cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What glue for delaminated fiberglass sides?

DonJon99
Explorer
Explorer
Just about to get all of the delaminated luan wood off of the fiberglass exterior walls. I'am going back with a new sheet of luan when I get this all cleaned off. Just checking with you all to make sure what I'am doing is a good idea. Basically I'am cleaning this down to the fiberglass ( using 100grit sandpaper). Then thinking of using contact cement to glue the luan back to the fiberglass. Figured this would be easy to do considering where it's at. Should be similar to installing formica on a countertop. After that's dry then just liquid nail it to the studs. Any comments appreciated.
Fyi. The wall is about 4'x8'

Click For Full-Size Image.

Adding another pic to show that I can fold the fiberglass way back to give me room to work. Now I kinda wonder if I should glue and staple the luan on the studs FIRST then use the contact cement to install the fiberglass last. This seems easier.

Click For Full-Size Image.
6 REPLIES 6

path1
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
sta-bond is the best adhesive for filon fiberglass

I see different types of sta bond. What type is best for delam?

Stabond T-440

Stabond E-183
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
sta-bond is the best adhesive for filon fiberglass

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
I think Dicor makes a glue for this, check camping world or other RV outlets.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with using contact cement is that if anything isn't positioned correctly, it can be a bear to remove and reposition. If the fiberglass exterior panel is rigid, this will be less of a problem. I would lay the panel down in increments and roll the fiberglass into the luan. I'd probably also fashion some type of brace or clamp to keep pressure on the exterior panel.

Fastening the luan to the framing would be an excellent idea.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DonJon99
Explorer
Explorer
Ya that's a problem. No easy way to apply a lot of pressure. Might can put something thick like a 2x block behind the wall temporary and beat wall with rubber mallet. The instructions on the contact cement said so, as last resort.
Not sure about the finishing resin. Don't know what that is. I'll look it up.
The floor glue is a good idea. I've used different kinds. Some of it does not require lots of pressure and sticks to everything.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I know that some use Finishing Resin, as in the resin used originally to create the fiberglass it's self. This is when they need it to flow into the voids of the delamination. In your case I'd try something like a tile floor adhesive. No matter what you use how will you apply pressure on the parts glues together in order for them to bond properly?