cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 ton for towing 26FT TH

firstturn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 WW FS2600 and currently have a 2002 F250 7.3L 4x4 for hauling it. I also have a car that for a daily driver. Was thinking with the capacities of the 1/2 tons increasing and wanting to reduce my overall number of vehicles, could I safely tow this trailer (gross 11,100 lbs) with a new 1/2 ton truck. I like the F250, but it is just too big for driving everyday in So Cal and just does not handle as well as a 1/2 ton.
10 REPLIES 10

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a guy towing a larger 26-28ft Gearbox on the highway last weekend with a newer F150. Just shook my head at him as I cruised by. You could just tell looking at the setup it was not safe. Doesnt take a rocket scientist. DONT be THAT guy...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I did it for several years with a '05 F150 SC 4x short bed towing a 24' 10,000lb Jayco Talon hauler. Brakes were my problem, and the truck was too light to be comfortable towing the hauler.

I'm glad we now have a F350 SRW long bed PSD towing a 32' 5vr. Even so I still wish the brakes on the truck felt stronger.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Even your F250 is technically over the GVWR of the truck with that trailer. Assuming you have a crew cab 4X4.

My buddy had a 2002 FS2600 and we had a tongue weight scale.
The loaded tongue weight on that trailer was 1700lbs.

GVWR on that truck is 8800lbs and the stock receiver is not rated for that much tongue weight.

So, I am saying this to give you and idea by going backwards in trucks is crazy. I don't care that these newer trucks are rated more. Just look at the components themselves compared to a super duty. Not even close to being comparable.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 11,000# TH and wouldn't even think about hooking a 1/2 ton to it. New trucks may pull it but I doubt will handle that trailer. You have to consider that you have that heavy motor up front that anchors the front end down to the road and steady. You have bigger brakes and everything else that I doubt is in the 1/2 tons. I have the F-350.
I get a little extra exercise when I take it shopping because I have to park it in the open, not in the parking slots, but the extra safety of the heavy truck on the road whether pulling or empty is worth the slight inconvenience......
Jerry..
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have that same trailer, towed it twice with a Nissan Titan, I was not happy. Some of the new 1/2 tons are capable up to 12K...IDK if I would recommend it though. See if you can rent one first and run it through the paces, I recently had a rental f150 with the little 2.7V6 turbo and could not believe the power, but power alone does not mean it would be good for towing that much weight.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 24' trailer with my 1/2 ton, ~6000# loaded, and I feel that I have enough safety margin to do it right. I believe you will be so far over capacity that it would definitely be unsafe.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
In a nutshell, no. At best you'll be right on the edge of your capacities. Note the plural. Not just towing capacity, but payload and tongue weight. You will not be happy towing that beast with a 1/2 ton.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
F 150 and F 250 with the same body and bed are the same size.

Bedlam
I think you will find the tongue weight to be too much for even the 150HD trucks. When was the last time you actually weighed your trailer when it was filled and ready for camping?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it.

Weigh the trailer fully loaded like you were headed out and see what it actually weighs.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX