cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 cycle oil Dodge 5.9 diesel

mikewats
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone add 2 cycle oil to their diesel fuel? Pro’s and con’s.

Thanks
Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin
19 REPLIES 19

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I wish I could still get the 99% biodiesel an outfit here was making about 15 years ago. Had 1% petro-diesel for some obscure tax reason. Truck ran more quietly, fixed a problematic fuel gauge sending unit, got better mileage (+1-2 mpg around town, on average) and it smelled like french fries when driving. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never used Synthetic 2 cycle oil.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I use full synthetic oil in my two stroke Seadoo watercraft. This oil leaves hardened carbon deposits on the top of the pistons and on the rave valves. I don't know if I would want this kind of buildup on my exhaust valves, manifold and turbo vanes.

I also use Optilube XPD in my 2004.5 5.9 which transforms the engine; smoother, quieter, and more power. You can definitely tell when the engine is running dry as opposed to with XPD. Those that don't use additives should run a couple of tanks with Optilube XPD. You will notice the difference. Optilube has a lubricant only product which Amazon shipped by mistake instead of XPD, not near as good. I prefer to use products formulated for the task at hand rather than anecdotal products.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Not certain of it’s “born on” date, but it is a 6.7......quite deleted! memtb"

Anything labeled 2007 made in 2006 has no emissions other than maybe a Cat. Production date 1/1 2007 and up has all the goodies.

We definitely “HAD” all the goodies! 😉 memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Not certain of it’s “born on” date, but it is a 6.7......quite deleted! memtb"

Anything labeled 2007 made in 2006 has no emissions other than maybe a Cat. Production date 1/1 2007 and up has all the goodies.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
memtb wrote:
mikewats wrote:

Thanks

I put a pint in with every fill up in my 2007 6.7!

I read on a diesel forum, where an extensive test was performed using many fuel additives and conventional 2 cycle oil. The 2 cycle oil fished in 2nd place to a high dollar additive. I can’t swear that it helps.....but, I bet it doesn’t hurt!

In fact, as embarrassing as it is to admit this. About 3 years ago, I had my head placed securely where the sun doesn’t shine, and in almost 30 years of driving diesels.....I finally put gasoline in my diesel truck. I didn’t realize what I had done until it was full. About 27 gallons of gasoline in a 34 gallon fuel tank! 19 miles to my house, drain fuel tank, put a few gallons of diesel with a gallon of 2 cycle oil in tank and flushed system to injectors. Drive to town, fill tank with diesel this time! About 40K miles later.....she’s still doing OK. I can’t help but wonder if that little bit of 2 cycle oil added may have helped some! memtb

I am assuming your 07 was made in 06.

Not certain of it’s “born on” date, but it is a 6.7......quite deleted! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usta be around heavy trucks.

Cummins wanted to see oil consumption records approaching a gallon used in 1000 to 1500 miles depending on circumstances before justifying a warranty overhaul.

Such a problem was rare and did not wreck the aftertreatment system when it occurred.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I do. When tank is low I pour a qt in at the station before fueling. The injectors are still hanging in at 200K plus.
This is my third high mileage Cummins with no injector problems. One was ~350K when I sold it.
Puma 30RKSS

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
noteven wrote:
2 cycle oil is designed to burn as cleanly as possible. It shouldn’t hurt a diesel in moderation.

I’m not sure how it likes being compressed to 35000 psi’s in a common rail fuel system.

The manual for my old mechanical diesel Land Cruiser says emergency fuel can be made from 3 parts gasoline to 1 part 30 weight engine oil if necessary. It was built before the internet so that could be danger danger now.

Modern as in 07.5 and newer is no bueno!!! Won’t hurt the engine but sure will the downstream emissions systems.

Agreed; I wouldn't hesitate on a 5.9L or deleted 6.7L but definitely not on an emissions intact 6.7L like my truck still is.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
memtb wrote:
mikewats wrote:

Thanks

I read on a diesel forum, where an extensive test was performed using many fuel additives and conventional 2 cycle oil. The 2 cycle oil fished in 2nd place to a high dollar additive. I can’t swear that it helps.....but, I bet it doesn’t hurt!

In fact, as embarrassing as it is to admit this. About 3 years ago, I had my head placed securely where the sun doesn’t shine, and in almost 30 years of driving diesels.....I finally put gasoline in my diesel truck. I didn’t realize what I had done until it was full. About 27 gallons of gasoline in a 34 gallon fuel tank! 19 miles to my house, drain fuel tank, put a few gallons of diesel with a gallon of 2 cycle oil in tank and flushed system to injectors. Drive to town, fill tank with diesel this time! About 40K miles later.....she’s still doing OK. I can’t help but wonder if that little bit of 2 cycle oil added may have helped some! memtb

I am assuming your 07 was made in 06.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
2 cycle oil is designed to burn as cleanly as possible. It shouldn’t hurt a diesel in moderation.

I’m not sure how it likes being compressed to 35000 psi’s in a common rail fuel system.

The manual for my old mechanical diesel Land Cruiser says emergency fuel can be made from 3 parts gasoline to 1 part 30 weight engine oil if necessary. It was built before the internet so that could be danger danger now.

Modern as in 07.5 and newer is no bueno!!! Won’t hurt the engine but sure will the downstream emissions systems.

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
mikewats wrote:

Thanks

Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I used to know a man that would add a qt of cheep oil to the tank of a gas burner once a month.