cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004 Sunnybrook 31

Grumpy_Finn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody, this is my first post so bare with me. I tried to look for a topic but couldn't find it, and it's probably asked many times before.... Just couldn't find the right search string.
2004 Sunnybrook 31WKS

Here's the scenario, I've been looking for a FW for awhile now, and found one in a trailer park in FL (of all the places). It looks great, and the price is right but something keeps bothering me, it's probably been sitting in there for a long time since she told me they have put the elastic coat on the roof every year, is that common practice.

The tires (16") looked new, tire covers, it has the front skirt and side fence, outside "tent cover" where the awning doesn't reach, electric jacks, etc... So it was probably top of the line fully loaded like the lady said when they bought it new.

So, how long can a trailer sit in a sun before it starts to deteriorate without use, when I say "use" I mean traveling, I know my neighbors RV went bad in about 10-12 years of no use.
6 REPLIES 6

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You probably got one of the last bad Dometics that was recalled. I had a bad one in a 98 SB. I think 97-03 were the recalled years. I got a rebuilt and the guy already knew where Dometics screwed up and he had the fix for it before Dometic admitted what the problem was. Your 04 is probably like my 08. The basement is a return air plenum and I spent a day fixing the shrunken gaskets on the basement doors and sealing all the plumbing/electrical penetrations from the basement to the under belly and the heating got MUCH better. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Rosebud
Explorer
Explorer
We just upgraded from a SunnyBrook travel trailer to a 2004 31 BWFS model SunnyBrook. This one had been well taken care of and from what we can figure it was used as a winter residence in Florida. Inside and outside very clean. Was covered with a full cover so the Fiberglass still has a good shine and the roof is in great shape. Down side is the Refrigerator quit, cooling unit leaking. Water heater is problematic and the Furnace not heating properly. Had to replace seals and ball valve in the toilet. Tires will need replacing in the future I know. But it is a SunnyBrook in good physical shape and the price was right. It just depends on how much you are willing to put into a used unit. Some things are going to fail no matter how old they are. You get what you pay for in a used unit. I know I will be satisfied when I get all the units working and I can start my trip north to Alaska.

Bill
William B. Rose

Grumpy_Finn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. there were too many questions not answered by the owner so I pretty much just passed on this. Few thousand more and I'll probably be a lot happier camper in the future.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
SBs were redesigned in 03 and they got a nice big basement. They also got wider taller and a lot heavier. They had the Morryde option starting in 03. The 31s were very popular - big enough to get most of the creature comforts. SB had problems with kitchen slides when they were first redesigned. They put the stove frig and tv in one slide and also went to a flat floor slide mechanism and that slide didn't hold up. I would probably pass if it's the flat floor kitchen slide. Later They cured it by going back to a conventional slide for the kitchen. The top entry step was in a pocket on that first redesign year and I've seen people trip and far clear out of their units. They definitely went thru a learning curve in 03/04. Avoid the flat floor kitchen slide and be aware of the pocket step are the two biggies. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Replacement of all the tires is a must as it does not matter if it was towed or sat they start to deteriorate as soon as they are made (per tire manufacturers own statements) and have a life of 6 years from date of manufacture.. As for the roof coating every year...why? It is totally out of the norm to do that....was she just sold a bill of goods by the campground or service company? Just sitting in the sun does not mean it will go bad. Problems arise from lack of maintenance and mainly the roof causing leaks. Be aware that you will need to have a good habit of checking the roof for cracking at vents etc since the unit will now experience flexing it has not had in years. Sunnybrooks back then were well built and better then average but not high end (sorry). Other potential problems are the electric jacks and other items that have sat unused for a long time. Buyer beware and ready for repairs.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would be concerned about having to coat the roof every year, but you are more aware of the effects of the Florida sun than I am.

It is hard on tires, and wheel bearings (rust) when a trailer sits for years without moving. There is a DOT code on the manufacture date of the tires, on the sidewall. If they are original, I would not use them.

If you are new to RVing, I would get someone knowledgeable to go over the entire unit, before making the purchase.

Jerry