cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2007 Montana-lippert slide issue

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas or suggestions? Our slide would take a bit of pressing the button a few times to get slides in or out. On our trip the slide stopped completely. I checked wiring, grounds and inline 30 fuse. I spoke to Lippert too. I tested with a volt meter received power at switch and at motor And all tested well. I also disconnected switch and manually connected wires to see if the switch was at fault. We had to purchase a drill and a 1/4 bit to move the slides in (hand held drill was burning up). We went to our next stop and had to move slides out manually too. During this time I ordered a new motor online (AP Product-good or bad not sure). Anyway, today in cleaning and wiping down walks and all switches and the slide works. It is moving in and out and sounds strong. Is it a sign the motor is going? Could my battery be dead and not registering on the new volt meter (tried on two batteries, I carry an extra) or was my diagnostics wrong? Thoughts?
12 REPLIES 12

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cole Hersee American made automatic reset breakers.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
mcguirehg wrote:
JohnG3, when you say American made breakers do you mean autoreset? If I can upgrade them I would to avoid future problems. I replaced mine with a Napa breaker-China made

Camping buddy works for a diesel repair and parts business. He got them from a supplier. It's been several years and can't remember the name of the auto reset breakers. Will be going out to the trailer this week and will look.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
A more permanent solution is to mount two 40amp self resetting breakers in parallel. This is a Lippert approved solution and looks like this:

Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3, when you say American made breakers do you mean autoreset? If I can upgrade them I would to avoid future problems. I replaced mine with a Napa breaker-China made

JohnG3
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2008 Montana's slides would stop. I waited a couple minutes and the autoreset breakers would reset and all was good for a while. The interval between stops became shorter and shorter. Replaced the auto breakers with American made breakers and no problems for several years.

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the auto reset fuse today...a few minute job and $7.35. The slide appears to be working great so I'm happy. I had to purchase a electric drill, volt meter to test the slide motor and ordered a new motor. This has been a learning experience, but it can be tough while on the road. The switch had power, the battery had power and so do the lipert motor so this is why this didn't make sense. Anyway, I'll most likely return the motor and incurr the 20percent restocking fee....lesson learned about these resetting fuses.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I was having the same problem. I replaced my 50 amp c/b last week and it now works great. I got mine from a local auto parts store. All the major ones have them, like NAPA, Autozone, O'Riellys. I payed $5.95 plus tax.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Fire5er
Explorer
Explorer
As the others have said above it is a common problem. I had a 2007 Montana 3400RL and had an intermittent slide operation issue and found it to be caused by a bad ground to the battery.
2011 F350 CC, 6.7, LB, DRW.
Hijacker (24-UMS-21) 21k Underbox Hitch.
2014 Big Sky Montana
PressurePro Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
BB_TX is right on. The self resetting breaker weakens every time it trips. This is a *VERY* common problem on 2004 - 2012 Montanas. Replace the breaker and consider moving to an 80 amp one or paralleling two 40 amp breakers. The Montana Owners Club (MOC) forum is free to join and contains all things Montana. Instructions on both solutions are documented there.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Those auto reset circuit breakers are a common problem on those hydraulic slides. I had the same problem with the breaker repeatedly opening and stopping slide travel on my 2007 Montsna. Replacing the circuit breaker is a very inexpensive fix.

This has been discussed a number of times on the Montana Owners Club forum with additional measures taken to resolve the problem.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you may be on to something. While I don't usually like to just throw parts at a problem, I would replace the breaker with a new one as the cost is minimal and the labor is free.
Wish I could be of more help. Good luck, John
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
So it appears the issue may be a auto reset breaker called shortstop II
, 50a. I disconnected motor from it and now it works. I'm not sure if this was the problem from the start or not at this point. I didn't realize this was a breaker, I thought it was a hub for wires.. Anyway to test these auto resetting breakers? Why would it take five days to reset if this was the problem?