cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Ram 3500 Mega 6'4" bed, B&W Companion and Grand Designs

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
I am moving to a new truck/fiver combo. The truck is a 3500 Megacab 6'4" with a B&W Companion (possible slider), and a Grand Designs Solistice 369RL. There has been a lot of discussion with the dealer and with the MFG concerning this combo and the need for a slider. Does anyone have experience with the 3500 and the Grand Design trailers? I sincerely appreciate your responses.
Thanks
Ct..
15 REPLIES 15

wschoonv
Explorer
Explorer
I also have just bought a Solitude...nice...haven't gone on the road yet...can't wait.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rthibodaux wrote:
Trying going in a parking lot and see how far you can turn and then you would know the answer to your question. I had an 06 dodge megacab with a super guide hitch, had no problems, Now I got an 12 dodge 3500 with 8 ft bed, I still got the super guide hitch..

I am curious, why would you want or need a slider with a 8'bed?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rthibodaux
Explorer
Explorer
Trying going in a parking lot and see how far you can turn and then you would know the answer to your question. I had an 06 dodge megacab with a super guide hitch, had no problems, Now I got an 12 dodge 3500 with 8 ft bed, I still got the super guide hitch..

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever plan to camp in forest service campgrounds get the slider. Not only will sharp turns get you but very uneven ground with turns as often found in forest service campgrounds will get you.

Trimble1
Explorer
Explorer
Ct, glad you are going to start owners forums for the Grand Design fivers, I will be looking forward to it. Thanks
Jim & Sandy, (Molly and Jaguar)
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2011 Ford F350 6.7L SRW CC LWB

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Ended up with the Companion Slider. I pick it up tomorrow with my new trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚
Ct..

45Ricochet wrote:
I believe the slider is cheaper than a rear window :R or a cab!
If in doubt why not just go with the slider?

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the slider is cheaper than a rear window :R or a cab!
If in doubt why not just go with the slider?
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is 35'. I had a 6' box and only used the slider few times. Now that we are fulltiming and travelling more we bought a newer 8' box TV. We now actually have more options on site access with the instant ability to jackknife park the rig. So my thought is to a slider...at a minimum.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure this will help with your particular situation but our GMC is the short bed with a B&W Companion. I have not run in to any problems and have made some pretty tight turns. Our Excel has the indented corners on the front and I think that is the difference maker. I do, however, watch very, and I mean very, closely when making some hard turns. I think if the Grand Design has the indented cap you should be fine.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Coming out of the bumper pull world where we get about 42 degrees max, how often do people do more than 60 degrees? Trying not to be ignorant and to understand the differences.

Ct..

blkdodge wrote:
Just something to think about. If the MFG says the trailer will make an 88 degree turn without hitting the rear of the cab, just note that you CAN NOT turn 89 degrees. Don't ask me how I know this. ๐Ÿ˜ž

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
Just something to think about. If the MFG says the trailer will make an 88 degree turn without hitting the rear of the cab, just note that you CAN NOT turn 89 degrees. Don't ask me how I know this. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

cdtretta
Explorer
Explorer
Jim,
Did you tow the 369 with the 6' whatever? Just curious. BTW, I'm going to be starting the Grand Design Owner's forum here soon. I just registered the domain names and am working with forum provider for a multisite discount. www.solitudeowners.com and www.grandesignowners.com will be the ways in.
Thanks
Ct..

Trimble1 wrote:
Congrats on the Solitude 369, we love ours. My truck has an 8' bed, but the last one had a 6'whatever and used a slider only to get into driveway. It probably wasn't necessary....but you never know. Happy Trails.

Trimble1
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the Solitude 369, we love ours. My truck has an 8' bed, but the last one had a 6'whatever and used a slider only to get into driveway. It probably wasn't necessary....but you never know. Happy Trails.
Jim & Sandy, (Molly and Jaguar)
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2011 Ford F350 6.7L SRW CC LWB

kc81c
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling a 2011 Heartland Sundance XLT behind a 2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6'4" box and a compnanion hitch. I have a thread back a few pages on it but I'm gonna try it without the slider first and take it easy. Our Sundance has the contoured 80 something degree front cap. If we had something with a squared cornered front cap a slider would be mandatory IMO.
2013 Ram 2500 Megacab 6.7L
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH