cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Landmark San Antonio

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok just ordered 2014 San Antonio, will be at Dixie RV in Florida in 6 to 8 weeks. Tell me the good or bad about them. All we have heard is good after they have been in use for a while but some problems with DIFFRENT dealers and PDI. As in profile not new to RV'ing. Have no problems with my Big Sky just the floor plan is not what I want for long travels and getting a drink as the frig is blocked by the counter and slide. Measured one on the lot it was about 43' (properly measured) and outdated info says 41'7", Any words of wisdom??? and correction???
24 REPLIES 24

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
My point is, there are going to be things wrong with it that you will not catch. It doesn't matter if you spend two days on a PDI...You WILL be bringing it back for warranty work. Why not just take care of everything then?? I just don't look at this as big deal...and yes, if I was in the market for a new trailer this wouldn't bother me in the least...

B.O.
I would have to agree with you. My only objective for the PDI was to identify blemishes or damage that I would have a hard time defending after I drove it off the lot. Beyond that, they are more instructional to the new owner, not an acceptance test. They have to honor the fix, regardless of whether you find it then or the next day. Any good Dealer will set you up at a campground for a few days and an open appt at the end to fix anything you find wrong on your outing.

That said, the LP thing was weird, and so was the water. Our Dealer showed us fresh ice in the icemaker and turned everything on for us to check.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
My point is, there are going to be things wrong with it that you will not catch. It doesn't matter if you spend two days on a PDI...You WILL be bringing it back for warranty work. Why not just take care of everything then?? I just don't look at this as big deal...and yes, if I was in the market for a new trailer this wouldn't bother me in the least...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion you can spend all day looking over a new unit and still miss some things. Take it out and use it, start making a list of repairs and adjustments and don't get all bent over a one hour PDI. Heartland is a great company to deal with but I'd be willing to bet they could care less how long your PDI is..B.O.

Things can be missed on a PDI and things can break and need warranty repair but I think The OP's issues are quite common with dealers. From the experience I and a number of other posters have with Dixie it would be the wise person who would not sign any papers or drive out of Dixie's parking lot until that rig has been gone over several times and every thing is working. Why would anyone want to take a rig out prior to a thorough inspection and repairs made? We too often hear about things the new buyer missed or the dealer blew off and then the buyer has to repeatedly return the rig for repairs and then wait months to get it back. Remember, once you drive off you are then on the dreaded "wait" list for repairs because the dealer is "busy".
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
I think you did the right thing Chiefcpo. Dixie is not the only one who sells Landmarks - maybe check out Rvsforless in Tennessee. They get good marks on the Heartland owners forum. 1 hour w/o hookups is ridiculous! Boo on Dixie!
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
It WAS NOT/ IS NOT the time alloted for PDI it was the FACT that it was not ready for PDI as there was no L/P,or water hooked to the unit. SIR would you take delivery of something that cost this much with out at least trying the eqiuptment to see if it worked and want things that were discovered 3 weeks befor fixed??? Should that be a yes then I recommend you go purchase it !!!!

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Chiefcpo wrote:
Thanks for all the info on Dixie RV and what to examine/check out on the new Landmark. We still have and will remain owners of the BIG SKY for time to come as our PDI at Dixie was a bummer. Starting with bad repore with the salesman, service manger, and was told that we ONLY HAVE one hour to do the PDI. There was no water hooked to the unit (none avaliable was stated) no propane to check out the unit only put gas to the unit AFTER DELIVERY !!!, Hearetland requires the unit to be alinged (with this type of supension) befor delivery, that is where it all started and added to the problems with the unit that THEY had inspected and was ready to travel. Just too many things were incorrect, missinf, broken, or not adjusted/repaired while unit was ont the lot for at least 4 months. NEVER had that problem with the last 2 from C/W in Robertsdale, Al.

Wow! Only an hour for a PDI and no water or propane to allow you to check everything? Did they at least have the rig connected to power?

Maybe a letter from you to Heartland describing your experience would result in a "come to Jesus" moment for the selling dealer. Can't imagine Heartland would tolerate such poor sales and service practices, since that dealer is the "face" of Heartland. If your experience has been the experience of others, I would think Heartland might be inclined to cancel their marketing arrangement with the dealer.
In my opinion you can spend all day looking over a new unit and still miss some things. Take it out and use it, start making a list of repairs and adjustments and don't get all bent over a one hour PDI. Heartland is a great company to deal with but I'd be willing to bet they could care less how long your PDI is..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo wrote:
Thanks for all the info on Dixie RV and what to examine/check out on the new Landmark. We still have and will remain owners of the BIG SKY for time to come as our PDI at Dixie was a bummer. Starting with bad repore with the salesman, service manger, and was told that we ONLY HAVE one hour to do the PDI. There was no water hooked to the unit (none avaliable was stated) no propane to check out the unit only put gas to the unit AFTER DELIVERY !!!, Hearetland requires the unit to be alinged (with this type of supension) befor delivery, that is where it all started and added to the problems with the unit that THEY had inspected and was ready to travel. Just too many things were incorrect, missinf, broken, or not adjusted/repaired while unit was ont the lot for at least 4 months. NEVER had that problem with the last 2 from C/W in Robertsdale, Al.

Wow! Only an hour for a PDI and no water or propane to allow you to check everything? Did they at least have the rig connected to power?

Maybe a letter from you to Heartland describing your experience would result in a "come to Jesus" moment for the selling dealer. Can't imagine Heartland would tolerate such poor sales and service practices, since that dealer is the "face" of Heartland. If your experience has been the experience of others, I would think Heartland might be inclined to cancel their marketing arrangement with the dealer.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie in Florida is a new store that is owned by Dixie in Hammond. La.. There have been a number of members here who have posted with issues after the sale. Months long waits for service, poor workmanship, no communication, lies, etc. IIRC correctly, even a lawsuit or two. They are not a member of BBB. Type "Dixie RV" in the search box for some posts. Also Google "RV Service Reviews". There is a consensus from those who bought from them would not buy again.

Before anyone jumps in that bad service is the norm for RV dealers, I am aware of that but IMO, Dixie is at the top of the list.

OP, as I said in an earlier post, make sure that you go through every inch of your new rig and ensure that everything works prior to signing any papers. Don't let them sell you any protection packages, extended warranties, etc. After driving out, be prepared to find another dealer or RV service tech. to make any repairs needed in the future. Your life will be much less stressful.

Since you have already bought from them, make the best of a potentially bad situation. Good Luck.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone with info on Dixie in Florida,,, that is where I am trading????

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the axles are aligned. Heartland installs the kit to make alignment, but does not align them at the factory and relies on the dealer to check it out. My neighbor has the San Antonio and the rear tires are feathering because the weight distribution is not even from side to side.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Go through your unit with a fine tooth comb and be absolutely, positively sure that nothing requires attention as Dixie WILL NOT be proactive if you need any warranty work after you drive out. Salesman will be no help and they will stall on warranty and put you off for months on getting anything done. Good Luck

On Edit: I am speaking specifically about Dixie. I am sure that many other dealers are the same.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo wrote:
Update.. Not getting the new paint jog as we were offered the present new color on a unit in stock and could not pass on the discount. will leave Thursday to go Check it out and pay IF everything is in working order on the PDI BEFORE we sign the papers. They said ok to doing the PDI first. Guess not all require it to be paid for first.

I would NEVER pay for a unit before doing my PDI. My dealer always schedules PDI first, any repairs second, and then settlement!
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Update.. Not getting the new paint jog as we were offered the present new color on a unit in stock and could not pass on the discount. will leave Thursday to go Check it out and pay IF everything is in working order on the PDI BEFORE we sign the papers. They said ok to doing the PDI first. Guess not all require it to be paid for first.