Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50amp surge protector ?

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
What is everybody using for a portable inline surge protector. We have a new Chaparral lite and it is a 50 amp service. I am looking for a portable inline surge protector and wondered what everyone is using? Thanks for an replies.
scott
22 REPLIES 22

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Progressive Industries 50amp portable for 6 years now here on the RAINY Washington Coast and Never a problem
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi PI has a better warranty.

A few of us are using autoformers instead of PI or SG units.

pismopete wrote:
Seems like everybody is hung up on PI. Maybe they're right, but I have had surge guard for 18 years and it still works great. Been through all kinds of weather and has never failed.

This =used= to be true, if you believe the most recent reviews on PI. Quite a number of people, including people who have had PI for years, are complaining that PI has changed their replacement policy on units that have suffered an "event". Can't remember specifics without going back and re-reading them, but the new owners have changed things, and not for the better, it seems. The other biggest complaint is with the weather cover on the portables. If you have a cord with a handle on the plug, the cover won't close so you either have to cut off the handle on the plug or cut the cover to allow it to close over the plug. I gather that the older models had a deeper cover that would close over a handle.

Personally, I've been thinking of an autoformer, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
wantabe351 wrote:
progressive 50a but used the hard wired unit...love it, never need to worry about it walking away, and with the remote display inside the rv i can see whats going on with our electrical....

Same here.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Yet another vote for a Progressive Industries EMS unit.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
We have the PI 50 hardwired. I like that it will shut down in low voltage situations. In 10+ years, that feature has saved us from burning up our AC five or six times. We have also been saved a couple of times from high voltage/short situations. Last year we ran into something that caused an internal short in the PI. We had had that particular unit for 6 years. It was replaced in short order, no questions asked. We would never be without our PI unit.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I got my first PT-50C in 2010. It worked perfectly for many years until it finally took a hit while at a campground in Florida. It was replaced under warranty, but during the warranty shipping time both ways it occurred to me that I needed a spare unit since I full time.

I do now have 2 units both of which are now PT50X's since several hits/saves have happened and PI replaced both of my original C's with the X model. I do like the socket cover on the newer X's.

I absolutely will never plug in anywhere anytime without one of my PT50X's inline.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi PI has a better warranty.

A few of us are using autoformers instead of PI or SG units.

pismopete wrote:
Seems like everybody is hung up on PI. Maybe they're right, but I have had surge guard for 18 years and it still works great. Been through all kinds of weather and has never failed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RickLIght wrote:
For my money, brand is less important than features and value.

I went with a hardwired top of the line because it's a new rig and I expect many years of far flung camping. If you like larger or more urban campgrounds then less will do fine.

So, what =did= you go with?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
For my money, brand is less important than features and value.

I went with a hardwired top of the line because it's a new rig and I expect many years of far flung camping. If you like larger or more urban campgrounds then less will do fine.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
pismopete wrote:
I had one fail just out of warranty, and they did replace it for no charge.

But his last one was just over 2 years old and it shorted out and nearly fried my toyhauler. The pedestal circuit breaker flipped and I think that is what saved the trailer. It did melt the plug on the SurgeGuard. I threw it in the basement and disassembled it when I got home. It had a lot of water inside which I'm convinced cause it to short out.

It also ruined my 90ยฐ 50 amp dogbone, which really ticked me off. I discovered that particular problem this last trip when I lost one leg of my 50 amp service, and traced the problem to the dogbone.

AFAIC, two strikes and you're out.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a PI after having a surge guard fill with water in the rain.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Before my PI I had a Camco 55306 Power Defender. It started buzzing horribly.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

pismopete
Explorer
Explorer

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
wantabe351 wrote:
progressive 50a but used the hard wired unit...love it, never need to worry about it walking away, and with the remote display inside the rv i can see whats going on with our electrical....

I use the hard wired one as well. Love it.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed