cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5er accidents

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
seems like the last few weeks have been really bad for 5ers here in NC. Why? My opinion.
Many have been sold that story about how 5ers tow so good that you don't even know there are there, and that is how they drive. Like it is not there, and they get themselves into situations they don't have to skills to get out of, or don't have the Tv to get them out of it. Also many don't appear to have a 5th wheel capable TV. As in. I'll just put airbags on it, and it will be fine. WRONG. Airbags do not increase it capacity of your TV.

Bottom line. Yes a 5er may or may not tow better than a tag along. But it is still a trailer hanging off the back of your truck, and it is still heavy, and it still moves the TV around some. Especially in the wind, and if your TV is not capable enough., and especially if you are tow really fast, and ignoring the trailer. You wouldn't believe the number of 5th wheels that pass me on the highway running 80, and 85 MPH. That folks is too fast. Even the big trucks don't run that fast as a rule.

So don't fall for the myth that "you won't even feel it" You will, and if you aren't being careful. It may feel you right off the road. Drive like you are towing a trailer, because you are. You can't change lanes as fast, you can't accelerate as fast, and you can't stop as fast. You can't do anything like you can with out a trailer behind you. Drive accordingly.

I'm tired of seeing campers scattered out all over the road. And yes. That goes for the tag alongs as well. But it just seems the 5ers are being driven with less caution than needed.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
61 REPLIES 61

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I'm not creating a "Rolling Road Block", doing 65 because the other traffic never use the right lane and are running 10 to 20 over the speed limit at least.

So, I guess that you are the one that will run 85 just because that is posted. You do not have to run 85 mpg as that is the MAXIMUM legally posted speed limit. Most of these high speed roads are also posted with 60 mph as a minimum speed. I will stay above tis minimum as long as the road conditions are safe. A section of I-44 toll road in Oklahoma is posted 75 mph, but it is unsafe in an RV at 55 mph. I slowed to 45 mph, right hand land, flashers on and 45 mph until the road was safe to increase my speed.

Many trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph, yet people do not even look at this.

I will roll along at my 65 mph in the right lane and you can change lanes and blast ahead. RV stands for Recreational Vehicle....not RACE vehicle.
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
Variance in speed on interstates is a major contributor to accident rates. Variance involves both too fast and not fast enough. Towing well under the speed limit is not safer than towing at the limit, conditions allowing. Staying in the right lane unless passing is a good start, but I see way too many cars traveling slow in the left and middle lanes. What we all want to avoid are vehicles with high closing speeds and high speed lane changes. A vehicle in the right lane traveling well under the limit tends to result in high closing speeds for cars traveling at or slightly above the limit, which also tends to produce high speed lane changes. Too many drivers are driving distracted or in the wrong lane or while fatigued or under the influence. All of this stuff contributes to accidents. Traveling slow may reduce the risk of a single car accident but it may increase the likelihood of an accident on a stretch of road in certain conditions.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
phillyg wrote:
I'm sorry, well, not really. If you don't know its back there, something's wrong. I can say my 10,000lb boat and trailer, on the hitch receiver, compared to my 15,000lb FW on a FW hitch, do tow differently, but I always know they are there.

People can get in trouble easily from a lack of skill, speed, poor maintenance, overloading, unseen road hazards, other stoopid drivers, and bad weather (sometimes seems like all the above). My only advice is to match tow vehicles to the load, keep speed reasonable, keep head on a swivel and keep up with maintenance.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Well lets say I am aware of our 5er,but having moved from maybe near 300HP and 600ish torque with the chipped 2001 Ram 2500 and 3.55's and a 5 speed manual, to a 2016 Ram DRW HO/Aisin with 385HP and 900# torque, it is like the 13,000# isn't back there!
You are likely towing near 15K with 325 hp and 570# torque with a 4 speed auto. If you were to get even a 10 year newer TV with more HP and torque you would see a difference. You don't specify if your F350 is SRW or DRW, but DRW is a big improvement in stability.

Then you see those pulling 7,000# TT with diesel 250/2500's and the feeling is even less.

Far more important is driving habits, bad ones like following too closely, extreme speeding, lack of skill, and overloading.

Some of it may also be towing too big a 5er with a SRW be it a 250/2500 or 350/3500 SRW. They are both the same basic truck, but the big difference will be tires and springs. The base 250/2500 tires can't carry as much weight as either and upgraded 250/2500 or basic 350/3500.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
delete...jim
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Rolling road blocks ??
C R England or Swift OTR drivers in the left lane for 17.8 miles on I 80 passing another OTR comes to mind.... damzed frustrating ...just gotta' deal with it.

RV doing the 55-60-65 mph speed limit in the right hand lane on a busy expressway and its keeping you from speeding....just deal with it.

Someone in the passing doing the legal 75 mph passing a 65-70 mph slower vehicle and your wanting to run 5-10 mph over the speed limit....just slow down..don't tail gate and let the driver get around and make a safe lane change.

Too many aggressive drivers on the road who drive way to far over the speed limit....tail gate...unsafe lane changes...poor driving habits... we have to deal with these types.

I'm on the mother road (US-66) daily....its a parade of rvs of all types of people wanting to do the mother road.
RV wrecks....Must be a NC thing as I haven't seen a rv accident in years. Most accidents I see are non rv related.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
I'm not creating a "Rolling Road Block", doing 65 because the other traffic never use the right lane and are running 10 to 20 over the speed limit at least.

Where exactly is the average speed in on a busy urban freeway upwards of 80-90mph?

I'll wait for you to provide data supporting your position. Yes, there is the stray vehicle doing it but I never suggested keeping up with the outliers.

I don't have data, but I-85 south of the ATL airport between College Park and Newnan on the weekends, is crazy fast. Without the camper, I've been flowing with traffic, and been doing 85. Good thing is, it's pretty new interstate, with wide lanes, and good pavement.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
philh wrote:
I'm getting trashed in a RV Facebook page for daring suggesting that 1/2 Ton trucks generally can't tow !/2T ready 5th wheels. And then I suggested that many F250's don't have that much more capacity. Never thought I'd be a member of weight police, but here I am!

Hey philh...part of being a good wt cop, is knowing what ratings to look at! ๐Ÿ™‚

Towing a FW, the RAWR/tire rating is what makes a huge difference between a 150/250. The 250 can carry 2K-2.5K more pin wt, on it's rear axle.

Many 1/2 tons are not capable of carrying a fully loaded 1/2 ton towable FW, which often have a 10K GVWR. However, some can, and the RV marketing folks point at those trucks as an example.

Jerry

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
No we are not the problem by towing safely. The problem is a$$hats thinking that they are NASCAR drivers.
As to RV accidents I've only seen 2 in many thousands of miles towing. Both were in VA if it really matters. One was a huge TT already swaying when it went flying by us on a hilly section of US58 and the next downhill got him. The other had already happened a week ago at exit 45NB on I95. It looked like they decided to take the exit at the very last second and lost it. Both results were large piled of kindling. The cause? Speed not suitable for conditions.
Try keeping up with traffic in Cali. Say hello to a CHiP in the next 10 minutes and get out your wallet.
Puma 30RKSS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bgum wrote:
Couldn't disagree more on the comments to drive at the speed of traffic.
You see I'm towing and most of the traffic isn't. We should drive at a speed that is manageable by someone who is towing a RV.

Yes, and unless there are other conditions such as bad weather...manageable is keeping up with the average speeds of traffic or at least pretty close to it.

If your rig is unmanageable at 65-70 (typical urban freeway speeds), there is something wrong.

On lightly traveled rural freeways, its far less of a problem as there is plenty of room for traffic coming up behind you to see and react...but once you start creating a line of cars jockeying to get around you, you are a problem.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Michelle.S wrote:

Where exactly is the average speed in on a busy urban freeway upwards of 80-90mph?

I'll wait for you to provide data supporting your position. Yes, there is the stray vehicle doing it but I never suggested keeping up with the outliers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
seems like the last few weeks have been really bad for 5ers here in NC. Why? My opinion.
Many have been sold that story about how 5ers tow so good that you don't even know there are there, and that is how they drive. Like it is not there, and they get themselves into situations they don't have to skills to get out of, or don't have the Tv to get them out of it. Also many don't appear to have a 5th wheel capable TV. As in. I'll just put airbags on it, and it will be fine. WRONG. Airbags do not increase it capacity of your TV.

Bottom line. Yes a 5er may or may not tow better than a tag along. But it is still a trailer hanging off the back of your truck, and it is still heavy, and it still moves the TV around some. Especially in the wind, and if your TV is not capable enough., and especially if you are tow really fast, and ignoring the trailer. You wouldn't believe the number of 5th wheels that pass me on the highway running 80, and 85 MPH. That folks is too fast. Even the big trucks don't run that fast as a rule.

So don't fall for the myth that "you won't even feel it" You will, and if you aren't being careful. It may feel you right off the road. Drive like you are towing a trailer, because you are. You can't change lanes as fast, you can't accelerate as fast, and you can't stop as fast. You can't do anything like you can with out a trailer behind you. Drive accordingly.

I'm tired of seeing campers scattered out all over the road. And yes. That goes for the tag alongs as well. But it just seems the 5ers are being driven with less caution than needed.
Have you ever towed a 5th wheel? Doesn't sound like you have. My 19,000 GVWR toy hauler seems to ignore the crosswinds and it doesn't push my dually around. With 6 tires on the trailer and 6 tires on my dually my rig is extremely stabile to the point where I barely feel the wind. I've driven diesel pushers in the wind that are far less stable than my dually and trailer. The wrecks I've come across involving RVs are usually bumper pulls.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm getting trashed in a RV Facebook page for daring suggesting that 1/2 Ton trucks generally can't tow !/2T ready 5th wheels. And then I suggested that many F250's don't have that much more capacity. Never thought I'd be a member of weight police, but here I am!

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Now if it's a lightly traveled rural freeway, doing 60-65 isn't a big problem but as traffic builds keeping up so you don't create a rolling road block is safest.

So in heavy traffic with all those BMWs, Audis and such, I need to match their speed? I'm driving my speed, deal with it.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't disagree more on the comments to drive at the speed of traffic.
You see I'm towing and most of the traffic isn't. We should drive at a speed that is manageable by someone who is towing a RV.