cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel brakes and breakaway switch

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
On my maiden voyage return trip, the "breakaway pin" inadvertenly falls out. I thought I was paying attention, but it seems to jerk quite a bit anyway so I didn't notice for maybe 30 miles. (don't know) This is on a 2010, 35 ft LZ 5th wheel. I'm pulling it with a 3/4 ton Power stroke diesel. I guess maybe the brakes weren't adjusted properly because 1 shoe was completely gone, but the other 3 still had almost 1/2 the pad left. Wierd. I plan to replace all 4 brake backing plates, but only 2 of the drums, others look fine. SOUND OK?
Also, should I be able to pull the breakaway switch pin out by hand? I cannot. Maybe its supposed to be really tight or it's melted into place.
22 REPLIES 22

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
john&bet wrote:
My cable hooked on the hitch one time in a parking lot and it locked up right now. Could not move the 5er.

Just unhook the battery cables until you get a new switch.
Just so you know it does not need a new switch. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Unhooking the battery will allow the trailer tires to roll free. Then you can figure out if you just need to rehook your brake cable or replace it if it is defective. Then just reconnect the battery cables.

Wandy
Explorer
Explorer
I was hauling the 5er about 150 miles away. Noticed the plug was sitting in the bed. Didn't notice any difference i believe. Is there a way to test the switch?

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
john&bet wrote:
My cable hooked on the hitch one time in a parking lot and it locked up right now. Could not move the 5er.

Just so you know it does not need a new switch. Thanks for your advice anyway.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mgpassport
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson I get from this is not put a lot of stuff in the bed of the TV.

Flattop
Explorer
Explorer
On our maiden trip home, we stop at a turnpike rest area. I was gassing up while the wife went inside to take the girls to the restroom.

After filling the tank, they were still gone so decided to pull past the pumps off to the side. Made a sharp left turn upon leaving the pumps and "bam" I stopped immediately. Thought I hit something with the back end swinging as I left the pumps. Got out, walked around the trailer, nothing. Got back inside, proceded to pull away to massive jerking. Pulled it 30 ft to get out away and off the side.

Got out again, looked in bed and saw the pin had pulled out. Was releived at that time. Wife came back with the kids.

I immediately left for the restroom to empty my pants.
Marty
2000 F-250 SD,SC,2WD,auto,LB,V-10,3.73
2002 Forest River Wildcat 27RL

1-wife
2-girls (ages 17-13)
1-Dark Red toy poddle (2 1/2 yrs old.....our baby)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like many of us have had the same kind of experience ๐Ÿ™‚

For most of us easy to fix--just plug the breakaway back in. But it is the surprise and the embarrassment that lingers in memory.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
Making a U-Turn in the middle of Sedona AZ. Quiet day, coming out of the U-turn the cable hung up on something (never hung before) and stopped us QUICK!

All of a sudden everybody in AZ was coming from 3 directions at us!

Plugged it back in, went on our way. Later that night at dinner and elsewhere, we heard about "The big 5th wheel trailer that stopped traffic!"
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
And they do go bad....after I finished my disc brake install I pulled the pin on the breakaway switch and nothing happened. I went back over a!ll the wiring couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally in desperation I shorted out the leads to the switch and the electric pump came to life.

I took the switch apart and found the welds holding the wires in place failed.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
HA, I was lucky it was dark when it happened to me!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
X 4!

It only happened to me once as I was leaving a campground and made a sharp turn. The cable got hung on something. The stop was sudden and complete. I thought I had hit something. It provided some amusement for some friendly folks who happened to be nearby.

I don't think I could have continued towing at all. But maybe if it happened while one was up to full speed it might not work the same--I don't know about that, fortunately.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
john&bet wrote:

X2!!

I was backing uphill to the blind side BANG! Thought somehow I had hit the 5er with the LB truck. I looked once, didn't notice the pin sitting in the bed of the TV, spotted the second time. :h

Had mine pop out at the Keizer Elks RV Park. I was going slow and turned very tight and it popped and I about went thru the windshield!

X3

Ha! Thought I was the only one. I was turning in a parking lot and everything stopped rolling like right now. Thought I had hit something and got out and looked around...nothing. The cable had caught on the holding tank that I threw in the back of the truck and pulled out. What a relief but a little embarrassing.

YZ
Explorer
Explorer
I would also check the wiring..I know that little box heats up if you leave the pin out...better safe than sorry...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
john&bet wrote:

X2!!

I was backing uphill to the blind side BANG! Thought somehow I had hit the 5er with the LB truck. I looked once, didn't notice the pin sitting in the bed of the TV, spotted the second time. :h

Had mine pop out at the Keizer Elks RV Park. I was going slow and turned very tight and it popped and I about went thru the windshield!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD