cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel for Reese Sidewinder

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the Q20 Curt will not work with a Sidewinder, something to do with how the head is mounted on a swivel. So I have to replace it, and the A20 does not work with the Q20 legs, so I have to replace the entire 5th wheel. The trailers GVWR is 13600, the Sidewinder is a 20K unit, and I am looking at a Reese 16K 30047. Before I pull the trigger, any caveats? I want to stay under $500 if I can since it goes above and beyond what I had budgeted for the new trailer.

I have the standard above bed rails for it too, the truck does not have the puck system.
4 REPLIES 4

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
After all the research and reviews, getting the weight of the truck with all passengers, finding my available cargo capacity I kept it light with a CURT A20. Less than 130 pounds for the hitch and works with the Sidewinder. Picking it up tomorrow.

The fun part now will be balancing the load to stay under 2500 pin weight. The "dry" weights have the pin at only 1655 pounds with a UVW of 10828. Thats just a smudge above 15%. From our last trailer the most we carried with a full FWT was 1800 pounds, so unless the empty pin weight is wrong, we will be under the 2500 by a couple hundred pounds.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
You will like the Sidewinder but I'll warn you that getting it all dialed in was a pain for me. I finally got it so the Jaws on my B&W close but at first I fought with getting a good connection. I hope you don't have the same problems.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately a bit out of my price range. Already putting $1500 more than I planned to for the Sidewinder. I also have a short period of time to get it, need it in the truck ready to hitch by next Friday.

I may go with the A20 and leg set I found, cost a little more than the full kit, but I can get them before Friday. At least that one will work, and they did order the wedge for it.

I was originally going to get a Demco slider, but the trailer needs more than 14" for my short bed F350, and the Sidewinder gives me just enough room, but the Q20 wont work. GRRR. I also want to keep the weight in the bed down as the trailer has the potential of hitting the GVWR of the truck and want all the payload I can get. The Demco adds about 120# or more than the Curt.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I have a B&W Patriot 16k hitch and a Sidewinder King Pin. I had to order the specific wedge for the B&W. The wedge that comes with the Sidewinder was a little sloppy and allowed for movement. With the correct wedge, it works fine and B&W hitches are very well reviewed.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.