cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel front tripod

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
We're currently staying at an rv park and while walking around I notice out of 100+ 5ers 2 have what looks like a support tripod under the kingpin.
What is the purpose of it when you already have 4 or 6 jacks plus the tires on the ground?
Just say no to the payload police :C
30 REPLIES 30

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III
They help to keep you from whacking into the pin. They are also good at separating you and some cash.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
They do take the wiggle out of the front of the trailer. I now use the JT stabilizers on the landing gear now. They are much easier to use. I did have a 30 ft. Fiver and had the landing gear switch get stuck and I had the 2 leg pin stabilizer and by the time I noticed the switch was stuck the landing gear was 8 inches off the ground. It held the front of that trailer up until I got the feet back on the ground and they were not even bent.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

blawless wrote:
I noticed no one has mentioned the safety factor. Besides being an additional motion support it also acts as a safety support if in the unlikely event the front jacks give way for any reason. (ie) soft ground, wash out, lock pin failure, vandalism etc...

nope......

MOST fifth wheels RV's would crush those tripods like tooth picks if all the weight was placed on them in the event of a jack failure.... Maybe NOT ALL, but most...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed no one has mentioned the safety factor. Besides being an additional motion support it also acts as a safety support if in the unlikely event the front jacks give way for any reason. (ie) soft ground, wash out, lock pin failure, vandalism etc...
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
There was a time when I thought this was important. Eventually my sea legs got adjusted to the movement and I don't care. I often skip the scissor jacks in the rear too. The tripod is long gone.

Dad would be set up for weeks. Family show up to visit, he would crank down the stabilizers. I asked him about it. "If I'm the only 1 moving, I don't notice movement."

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't want the tripod I tried to give you so after your comment was put it out front and have a FREE sign it was gone the 2nd night.

chevman retired from Rving again
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best is what someone has a pin box like this with a front pin stabilizer.

One came with our CarriLite, gave it away.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
There was a time when I thought this was important. Eventually my sea legs got adjusted to the movement and I don't care. I often skip the scissor jacks in the rear too. The tripod is long gone.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
What is the purpose of it when you already have 4 or 6 jacks plus the tires on the ground?

Jacks and tires won't make a stable trailer for folks like my self that may have a medical problem (motion sickness).
Don't confuse jacks with stabilizers.

Jacks can only lift so they may not stop side to side/fore and aft movement on some trailers.
Same for tires in a rv trailer.

The tri pod....or bi pod as I have, can only stop side to side movement at the front of the trailer.

Why did those two use a tri pod ??? We can only guess.....but I assume they work for them.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

They are great to support a flag pole under.. Thats it
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
TravelinDog wrote:
We're currently staying at an rv park and while walking around I notice out of 100+ 5ers 2 have what looks like a support tripod under the kingpin.

None whatsoever. ๐Ÿ™‚
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
As long as my wife thinks it makes the rig more stable, it will be installed for any stay of more than one night.

Why not??
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had one given to me and I couldn't tell any difference with or without. It was just one more thing to do when setting up and breaking camp.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried one, and gave it away. Waste of money, did little, to no, good and a real pain to haul around. If you need a solid trailer, support the trailer with the wheels off the ground, or invest in JT Strongarms.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Our FW is rock solid and no bounce, if yours is like that then it's a waste of money, but if you need it, they work.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS