cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel length limits

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It was a nice cool day here in the Dallas Fort worth area, and the wife and I wanted to go walk around some of the new model RV's. We stopped by the local RV Dealerships to see whats new with no intention of looking to upgrading our 2005 grand junction. Wells the problem is that we found a used Landmark Rushmore by Heartland and a decent price and we are sitting here weighing the pro's and cons about pulling the trigger on it. The question I have is that our current 5th wheel (31TGS is 34' 11" long and Rushmore is 39' 1" long. The question that popped into my mind is the trailer too long and will I have trouble finding parks to accommodate a trailer of that length? The truck will not have any issues pulling it as it's a 2014 Ram 3500 megacab, it's just the overall length that has me questioning the transition to to this longer trailer.
14 REPLIES 14

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
Seems light for that size trailer, hit the scales some time and check it. I towed my old rv for 50,000 miles or so with a SRW and it did ok. Semi's tend to push then pull you when they pass. If you stay under the tire and axle ratings you'll be fine.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
priusron wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
At 39', it will be a problem if your truck is not a DRW. Pin weight will be too much for a SRW truck.

The length is not such a major issue, but the weight will be. You need to get some weights and work through the numbers.

And we have had to forgo some locations as at 36' we would fit...38' would not fit.

The length is not such a major issue, but the weight will be. You need to get some weights and work through the numbers.

Ken

If you check you will discover the ccc of srw is more than a drw of the same pickup and same rating.

I am talking DRW...ie dually.

Lots more cargo capacity. I do not know what kind of math you are using to have the logic that a SRW can carry more than a DRW. truck. My DRW has a GVWR of 13,300#, weighs 9000# fully loaded,fueled and ready to roll. Leaving me with a real world 4300# of capacity for a pin weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

priusron
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
At 39', it will be a problem if your truck is not a DRW. Pin weight will be too much for a SRW truck.

And we have had to forgo some locations as at 36' we would fit...38' would not fit.

Ken

If you check you will discover the ccc of srw is more than a drw of the same pickup and same rating.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
..Wow..what a palace..!!

Enjoy..!!

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Well guys I want to say thank you for everyone feedback as it was greatly appreciated, and we went ahead and pulled the trigger on the purchase of the trailer. They made us an offer we could not walk away from and gave us a good deal on our trade in RV. Looking at the figures on paper they make sense, as the hitch weight on the old RV is 2117 and the new trailer is 2700 per the manufacture with a total difference in gross weight of less than a 1000 lbs between them. The previous truck (2004.5 Ram CC 2500 4X4 had no issues pulling or stopping the trailer at all since we bought the trailer in 2006, and we did have some white knuckle experiences with cars pulling in front of me and slamming on their brakes. The new truck (2014 Ram 3500) with the advances that have been made in power and technolergy and a built in exaust brake should have no issues at all as it doesn’t even break a sweat pulling the current trailer. Most of the vacationing we do is to built up parks that can accommodate the larger trailers and motorhomes so that would not be a issue and I can only think of one or twice were we “might” have been challenged with a even larger trailer, but those situations where more for width then length.

Here is the outgoing 2004 Grand Junction, she served us well, with not a single issue at all.

Here is the new one, a 2012 Landmark Rushmore.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
Ken. I would totally concur with your thought process.

Weight is the key consideration here...not length. Given the same type of construction materials one has to think that this may well add possibly 10-15% or more weight to the total trailer weight depending up on configuration. An extra 300+ lbs could possibly put him over on his RAWR as well as his GVWR...or not. I only know that weight was my first consideration in seeking our first 5th wheel.

I have a SRW 2500HD CCSB truck. 9900 GVWR which is quite low. It took the wife and I near 3 months of looking to find a suitable trailer that we liked and that met my requirements as far as weight is concerned.

To be honest, I am still over on my GVWR particularly with the truck loaded/w full load of fuel (Titan 52gal + 30 Gal slip), wife/dog - that puts me at ~8200 lbs. Leaving 800 for the pin. No way one can find a newer model (even an "ULTRA LIGHT"), with that kind of pin weight. We ended up with the trailer in my sig at a stated pin weight of 1490lbs...and we use it - A LOT.! Added a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit for added stability and to eliminate some minor rear sag.

I'm good with it. May not be 100% within Manufacturer spec..but its as safe and then some as many more out there. (I also happen to believe that GM rated this particualr truck low on GVWR)

The other thing to consider with additonal length is side load...WIND. That's one heck of a long rig - hit a cross wind..?? and it could be a bit dicey no.??

Anyways Guys, just some thoughts/comments on a slow afternoon from the Alberta Oil Sands. And BTW eh.!: Get that Keystone Pipeline going..!!! (-:

cheers
Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What so many do not want to understand is that the truck has to be able to support the weight of the trailer pin. This weight limit is determined by the trucks GVWR and rear axle GAWR. The footnotes on the weight ratings state that all three weight limits are to not be exceeded...GCWR, GVWR and GAWR.

We meet lots of people pulling trailers that are over the SRW weight limits and I have yet to find one can tell me the weight of the trailer or truck and the axle loads. I urge the OP to get the loaded weight of his truck and see where he is on weight limits. He can then make an educated decision on towing and how much over weight he can be comfortable with.

And with this I am through and I think, I'll go make some pop corn.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our 8th year with our 40 ft. 5th wheel trailer -- which by the way is towed with a F350, SRW, Diesel -- without any problem. The only problem we have had is with the state parks. They just cannot handle long rigs. We have been everywhere and have averaged just about 12,000 miles per year for the past 7 years.

If the 39 ft. trailer is what you want -- go for it.

Enjoy the road -- we do !!!

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the feedback, as it all makes sense and 4ft is really nothing for additional length.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
If a 35 fits a 39 will fit. Look around the various parks, lots of 39-40 footers there.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
eubank wrote:
It all depends on just how far from the major highways and interstates you like to go. If you like to spook around corners of our country that not every Tom, Dick and Harry explores, then you're going to find problems finding a place for a rig that large. But if your habit is to stick to the well-known, well-trodden places, buy as long as you want.

🙂
Lynn

I agree with this....to a point. At 35', you probably also have a problem exploring the "nooks and crannies" and stick to the well-trodden places, so the extra 4' will not make that much difference. You won't find many places that have places for a 35' and not accommodate a 39'.

I say go for it if that is the rig that you like and after having a fifth wheel for a while, you know what you now need.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
It all depends on just how far from the major highways and interstates you like to go. If you like to spook around corners of our country that not every Tom, Dick and Harry explores, then you're going to find problems finding a place for a rig that large. But if your habit is to stick to the well-known, well-trodden places, buy as long as you want.

🙂
Lynn

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
You are basically only looking at 4' difference. Based on where you go, is 4' that big of a difference to you? You probably won't notice a difference towing it. Might notice it when backing or maneuvering but again 4' on something that size is not that big of a deal.

When we went from 48' to 53' semi trailers the only real difference was the 53' had more tail swing to watch for. The distance from the wheels to the bumper should not be that different between the two trailers.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.