cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel lengths (model# vs reality)

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of manufacturers name their models based on lengths that are much shorter than the true overall length. I can see rounding to the nearest foot but in many cases the model number will represent a length that is 3ft or more shorter than actual overall length. Why do they do this, and what are they basing the advertised (model number) length off of?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
54 REPLIES 54

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
This is getting to be kind of funny
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

RoundPoppy
Explorer
Explorer
the model no. doesn't count the closet space in the front of the camper. My Keystone copper Canyon model was 293 which you would be 29 ft. was 32 ft from pin to rear bumper

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Titanium fivers from Glendale of Canada (now bankrupt) have five additional feet of bedroom space hung out over the cab of the tow vehicle.

The model numbers indicate this: 24-E-29, 30-E-35; 37-E-42, etc. (Usually written without the dashes "30E35"). The first number is the approximate length from pin to rear bumper and the second it the length of the living area. The letters after the extended length are to designate interior arrangements. In my case 30E35SA shows a "side aisle" bathroom layout.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johnny_H wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Johnny_H wrote:
Work and Play model numbers represent living space length, but also list overall length in brochure. My 44RLS is actually 46'6" overall including the aerodynamic nose piece and box length is 44'

Show off! HA

Cummins,it is not bragging or showing off if stating a fact...ok maybe just a little, but i really do use the 20 ft. garage. :B

I am one that is always happy for people that have success in their lives and buy what they want.

Some are jealous of people that have more.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
I figure the height this way. I stay away from anything less(posted) than the 13'6" heights needed for semis. I just keep an eye out for low branches on county roads and in campgrounds as they are not marked.:)
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Johnny_H wrote:
Work and Play model numbers represent living space length, but also list overall length in brochure. My 44RLS is actually 46'6" overall including the aerodynamic nose piece and box length is 44'

Show off! HA

Cummins,it is not bragging or showing off if stating a fact...ok maybe just a little, but i really do use the 20 ft. garage. :B
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

skeetshooter
Explorer
Explorer
My current rig is a 36TKSB3. Which means it is a 36 foot unit, it actually measures 36 feet 11 inches. Our former 36 foot HH Champagne measured 37 feet 4 inches. So in these cases the trailers are larger than the unit designation.
Hope this helps.
SkeetShooter
SkeetShooter
2014 DRV Mobile Suite 36 TKRB3
2010 Ford F-350 Longbed SD Diesel DRW 4X2
20K Reese Hitch,
Good Sam Life Member

thirteen
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the brochure for mine and the outside listed length is correct but in reality it is off by more than a foot because it doesn't include the rear bumper and then the ladder sticks out further. If you got a place that limits length for a site you may have to ask if they include just the shell or the also the bumper and ladder if you are close. My is a 5th wheel so I didn't figure on a tongue. But in reality is I were to include the 5th hitch as well it sticks out the front a bit so that would be even more of a problem depending on what the place measures for limiting. Generally I see this at state parks in maine.

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
Not a guaranteed height, but one easy way found is next time you are under an canopy at a gas station that you can reach from your roof, measure down from the canopy to your high point, then measure down from the canopy to the ground.

Just know that when maneuvering under a canopy or pulling into a garage, a change in grade can cause the truck to go down in the front and push your pin up. If AC or something on roof toward the front is the high point, it can raise a few more inches than what it was level.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
OK, years ago, the number did generally mean something, and it generally was the overall length. We had a Fleetwood Prowler 24M, was 24' from hitch to bumper with 21' actual inside space. Our next TT a Gulfstream Conquest was a 26XXX (forget the letters), but was actually 26' box, making for approx 30' overall.
2010 Montana 2955RL (same model posted earlier at 32') ours was 34'. Now current Redwood is a 36RL, brochure length of 38'11", but it's measured from the King Pin back, actual spec drawing length is 40'2" tip to tail and 409 SqFt.
Oh, in reference to an earlier post that model numbers told you which model is bigger, not always the case as with Montana, 3400/3402 are one of the bigger models, yet many smaller have higher model numbers.
So in the End, as has been said many times, get out the trusty tape measure and get to the scales, only way to know for sure.............

Still find it hard to believe that the manufacturer doesn't post exterior lengths, ie from as far out front as the 5er extends, whether it be the pin or the front cap, to the very end, be it a bumper, spare tire or the ladder....used to be they did it all the time, and again, if one checked it with their trusty tape measure, would find it within an inch or two of actual front to back measure...unless some don't understand what exterior length includes.

also if one add's a bike rack or a carrier to the back of their 5er or TT, they need to add that additional length to the unit...

I believe it's already been established that the numbers may or may not mean much of anything...all I was recommending, in the scheme of things, "IF" one doesn't have a tape on them and they're trying to figure out length of the unit, (which WAS original topic), 99% the exterior length is listed in the manufacturers brochure that should be found at the dealership....if it's an older unit....carry your tape measure around with you, (I keep a 50' tape measure in my trucks tool box)..
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemitebobr wrote:
When it comes to measuring height, can I add, without a lot of slamming, measure when it is light (unloaded) and on the TV. You figure out why.

I read, (not all posts) most posts, and in talking about measuring height, no one really said when loaded on the TV.

Good point, because if it's setting level, doesn't mean it'll be setting level when hooked to one's truck when towing....I've done it both way's and when hooked to my truck, while setting on level ground, the unit is taller than when measured setting on level ground and unit has been leveled...very good point.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
When it comes to measuring height, can I add, without a lot of slamming, measure when it is light (unloaded) and on the TV. You figure out why.

I read, (not all posts) most posts, and in talking about measuring height, no one really said when loaded on the TV.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johnny_H wrote:

Show off! HA
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup