cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th wheel lube

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
This may have been covered before but I can’t find it. I drive a truck for a living and grease my 5th wheel at least once a month. I’ve also have been looking at other folks that have a 5er and haven’t seen anybody that greases their hitch. My question is why not? We have just purchased one and will be picking it up sometime in the next 2 weeks so I really need to know. Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
garyp4951 wrote:
I had to get the thinner lube plate so my hitch jaws would lock correctly.

Yes. The lube plates come in 2 or 3 different thicknesses, so you need to get one that will work with your hitch. I remember reading a number of years ago, where a guy ended up ditching his hitch because the fit was so tight that NO lube plates would work and he hated having to grease the hitch plate. AFAIK, most mfrs do have a recommendation for which plate to use.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:

What hitch?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Another benefit to my Pullrite Superglide, the king pin is locked so it doesn’t swivel. It’s recommended to lube with wd40 - not nearly as messy as grease. Ive done this for ~7yrs and >50k miles and all is good. I do clean up and check the hitch every year or two.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

YUP, another Lube Plate User here.

That is just an example of what is available
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I also came from the big truck world. The plastic plates are great on our 5ers, no so much on the big trucks. However, grease works great, but as you know it is messy.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
In the beginning we used red chassis grease on the hitch top plate. Then the white plastic nylon disc became available so no more grease stained clothes/hands.

Make sure your hitch mfg recommends using one.

You'll see some 5th wheel rv trailer owners use nothing or some type of spray on lube.
My 11400 lb 5er has around 2200-2400 lbs on the plate ...nothing like the load your OTR rigs top plate carries ...or the miles per year of use.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
1) Teflon disk
2) white lithium per manufacturer on uprights
3) spray heavy duty lube
On jaws
4) medium duty grease in the zerk fitting on the pivot bar.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
I use the white teflon disk and grease the pin and jaws on the hitch

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diamond c wrote:
Ok thanks that makes since I hadn’t thought of that. We tried them on our trucks at work for a while but they didn’t hold up but I can see we’re they might work better for this.

I get multiple years out of each $12 - $15 lube plate on our 15K fifth wheel. As for the hitch, PullRite specifies what lubricants to use on each part of the mechanism underneath the plate (jaws, pinion, latch, springs, etc.). I just follow the manual on that and put a thin film of all-purpose grease around the pin where it makes contact with the hitch and latch parts.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Ok thanks that makes since I hadn’t thought of that. We tried them on our trucks at work for a while but they didn’t hold up but I can see we’re they might work better for this.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with the others, Lube Plate and Grease on the Jaws.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

ETCrockett
Explorer
Explorer
I use the lube plate like others have mentioned. However, I also use grease on the jaws, kingpin, and on the bushings the hitch head pivots on.
Eric & Andrea
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38FLSA
2009 Ford F450 DRW

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use one of the plastic lube disc. I do add some grease to the jaws on the 5er hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot