Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7.3 Diesel help

lem55
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, quick question for diesel owners. I have a 1997 Ford with a
7.3 and hope do something to increase my power. I have replaced my down pipe along with the exhaust system. I have thought about replacing turbo or tuners, but I haven't found any reviews for older
diesels. Anyone that has done this upgrade please help.
11 REPLIES 11

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Ive been reading the 7.3l forums for about 4 years now. This is the tuner everyone says to run. Ive been wanting to save up for it myself. All these years the saving in fuel would have paid for it already. My truck currently has a flash paq tuner that ive read is horrible.

Link has info on the different years of 7.3l. The price is set at a fixed number its 300 bucks.

https://gopowerhungry.com/hydra-chip/

edit: woohoo just bought one!! No joke. Got it from Riffraff. I had bought an air filter from them and liked it.

https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 99... installed a tuner, some difference...installed a Banks exhaust... huge difference... what a truck, 350k
HTML

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
AS noted, do not push the tune much unless you have an exhaust temperature gauge. Without the temperature, you can literally run the engine until melt-down,

Also upgrade the transmission oil cooler and monitor transmission temperature. On my 2002 7.3L, I had gauges for boost, transmission and exhaust temperature. I had an up graded transmission cooler, a heavier duty torque converter and used synthetic transmission fluid. The truck was dependable and capable until we got a larger trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/c-205-1994-97-73l-ford-powerstroke-chips-programmers-tuners.aspx

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
look into an SCT recommended by my diesel tech. I used it on my 7.3 downloaded a new program when I bought my 6.0 and got another tune for the 6.7 I'm driving now. You will need to return the vehicle to stock before trading up, it can not be "married" to a vehicle. here is a good source for info and where I go to get answersFord Truck Enthusiasts
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
DP Tuners. He has developed some really good and safe tunes for them. I am on my second 7.3, and second DP Tuner chip. If you are towing, do not add too much power without knowing your exhaust gas temperature, with a down pipe, that will work in your favor.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
The old 7.3L Power Strokes respond very well to a number of tuners.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Hydra tuner is well liked on the 7.3l forums.

Also get a 6.0l trans cooler or aftermarket companies make one as well. Stock trans cooler is very very small.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Check into Hypertek tuners. Had one on my 7.3 for sometime, made a lot of difference.

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look here Powerstroke 94-98 under the section Ford Powerstroke 94-98 7.3L Forum.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled "7.3 diesel upgrades" and got 949,000 hits.