cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A funny thing happen last night

We took a ride over to Family Camping Outlet in Pottstown PA to take a look at the new Durango Gold model 380FL.. Before taking the ride , I called and verified they had it on the lot .
We arrived and went inside asking for the sales woman I spoke to earlier... After brief introductions , she went to say.... We need to discuss trucks before showing you that particular model...I see you have a F-150....

It was refreshing to see a company want to do the right thing.....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
18 REPLIES 18

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TucsonJim wrote:
Before Lazy Days in Tucson Arizona would sell a FW to me, they checked the towing capacity, payload and axle ratings of my truck. They recorded the info, and then proceeded with the sale once they were confident that I had the capability to safely tow it. I was very happy to see that.

WorldWide RV was telling me that the "HT" on the Jayco Eagle HT's was for "half-ton" towable. I flat-out told the salesman that the one we were standing in (one of the larger ones) I wouldn't tow with the '02 2500HD Duramax he saw me drive up in, let alone a '15 150/1500. He tried to contradict me and I just told him that I know my numbers and we wouldn't discuss it further. I =hate= salesmen and that's the main reason that I want to simply order one. Just too damn bad that they can't operate these dealer networks like car dealers and move inventory between dealers. Either that, or force the local dealers, who won't match out-of-area prices, to service units they didn't sell in the order in which they're brought in.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

luckyscroller788 wrote:
So.... how did you like the Durango 380FL ???

It was nice,,, not exactly what we want.. But nice
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

luckyscroller78
Explorer
Explorer
So.... how did you like the Durango 380FL ???

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, but if Lazy Days determines your TV isn't up to the task, you'll be asked to sign a waiver saying that you were informed that you TV was insufficient and you chose to proceed, thus relieving them of any liability. Plus on top of that some of the Salesman can't read the chart.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

AKF15E
Explorer
Explorer
Timely post. We just got back from the RV show where I heard a salesman tell about 15 people in the Jayco Pinnacle we were looking at that it can be towed by a 2500/250. I was extremely skeptical of course. When I got home a quick check of the Pinnacle specs show that they are all at least 2400 lbs dry pin weight. So is it possible to tow with a 250/2500? Yes, if you are by yourself with no add on options, empty tanks, very little gear, and nothing much in the bed of your truck. However, I doubt anyone travels like that. So technically he wasn't lying, but if everyone took him at his word and loaded up the wife, kids, and gear for just a week's vacation, they will be way overweight.

I actually had to sign a form at the dealer for my new rig verifying the type of TV I have. I think as these rigs get heavier and heavier, that will be a more common occurrence.
AKF15E
Goldsboro, NC

2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW, CC, Duramax, 4x4, Curt 20K hitch

2015 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

2020 Forest River Wolfpack 365Pack16 Toyhauler with a 2018 Yamaha Star Venture in the garage

robwhite61
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our 5er from CW in Chattanooga. A salesman met us just as we walked in. After introducing himself and getting our names he asked what we were looking for. When we told him a 5er, his next question was "What are you planning to use to pull it?" We told him a 2001 F350 DRW and the search was on. Funny thing was we had no intention of buying one that day. But we did!
2001 Ford F-350 DRW, 7.3L Turbo Charged
2013 Heartland Prowler 31 PRET

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago in Reno at a small RV show the salesman said I could tow the front living quarters Montana with our 2002 2500Hd.....with no problems. Well, I am sure I could tow it, but could I stop it.
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
Before Lazy Days in Tucson Arizona would sell a FW to me, they checked the towing capacity, payload and axle ratings of my truck. They recorded the info, and then proceeded with the sale once they were confident that I had the capability to safely tow it. I was very happy to see that.

Lazydays in Tampa did the same with me.
Don

Lazy Days in Tampa did the same with me when purchasing our 42 Ft Redwood 5th Wheel.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I'st rv I ever bought was a 38 ft. Alfa. Those babies are heavy. I had a 3/4 Dodge with the Cummings, 2001 model. I soon realized I did't have enough engine or suspension. I soon bought a 2003 F250. Enough power, but not enough suspension. Need a dRW. Course everybody stated it would work. Good to hear some dealers are doing it right. Learned my lesson and bought a 2014 F 350 DRW. A lot more secure. To this day I don't think a dealer ever told me I was overweight.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my new 5th wheel Four Season RV asked what I was going to tow it with because I drove up in my Dodge 1/2 ton. I told them I had a 1 ton dual Dodge as well. So not all dealers will say anything just to make a sell.

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when we got our 1st pop up we were looking at travel trailers while we waited for our pdi, the salesman asked if we picked our next one out already and when we told him what we liked he said we would need a better tow vehicle in order for them to sell us it. Kind of gave me a good feeling that they were not just in it for the sale.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You hear the horror stories of salesmen saying anything to get the sale, so it is good to hear that there are ones out there willing to give up the sale to keep from killing anyone.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:

Lazydays in Tampa did the same with me.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting, it is good to hear.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006