cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing back side of water heater

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Montana Mountaineer 310RE. I turned the electric water heater on and forgot to switch the bypass back after winterizing so it was empty for a few hours while the power was on. Now it won't work on electric (works fine on propane) so I assume I burned out the element. Some research assures me that replacing the element is a fairly simple matter but I can't figure out how to access the backside of the darn thing! It lives at kitchen floor level but under the bedroom/bathroom area, just opposite where the steps meet the upper floor. There is a linen and shower above it. Anybody else had this issue?
13 REPLIES 13

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Atwood electric element is on the backside (inside RV) UNDER the protective cover near bottom of water heater tank.

You didn't mention year of your rig....but if it is 2004 or newer under that cover will also be a DC Relay used to trigger the 120V AC to element.

So open the 120V AC Circuit Breaker and pull the DC Fuse on Water Heater Circuit Board so ALL Power is shut off
(Circuit Board IS in outside compartment)

Element is a 1400W standard element and uses a 1 1/2" socket/wrench to R/R. 6 point socket with extension works best

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
have to remove a wall in the belly storage and crawl in

That's the answer! The hatch seemed so far away from the outside WH door that it just didn't seem accessible from there. Now I just have to hire some skinny little kid to crawl in there with a wrench. I thought I had the right wrench but it looks like 1 7/16" or 1 1/2". Have a guess?
Thank you very much for your help. I know I would have paid the dealer a bunch for doing this. (They must have skinny kids on their payroll).
Thanks again to all who responded.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
The electric element is accessed from the front of the water heater....same side as the drain, gas burner tube, etc.

Here is a basic video on how to replace it....WH electric element replace.....LINK

Interesting, I had no idea there was such a thing as a water heater element wrench ($8 prime from amazon by the way).

Also available at Home Depot and other home improvement stores for under $10.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
have to remove a wall in the belly storage and crawl in

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
I've actually had one of those wrenches for years! I'd really love to get the chance to use it! 😉

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
The electric element is accessed from the front of the water heater....same side as the drain, gas burner tube, etc.

Here is a basic video on how to replace it....WH electric element replace.....LINK

Interesting, I had no idea there was such a thing as a water heater element wrench ($8 prime from amazon by the way).
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

AM_Allan
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. That was quick guys!
*downtheroad - Thanks. I found that video too as I was researching this. Unfortunately, this Atwood heater has a sticker in the burner side stating that the electric element is on the opposite side.
Many thinks to everyone else who responded.
Hopefully someone familiar with this floorplan will read this and respond.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood from the rear. Suburban from the outside (front)

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that the heating element is accessed from the rear of the heater and not the front, I know mine is in the front.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Might be helpful to state which brand WH you have model would be helpful as well.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
There should be an outside cover panel you can remove to access the WH and replace the element.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My electric element is on the backside as well and I've yet to attempt getting to it. It is a very tight fit to try to get to it, to say the least. Unfortunately they aren't all easy to access on the front.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro