cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding 3rd axle

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a dumb idea but its wintertime and I am bored.

I have a 2006 Victory Lane 32 ft 5th wheel Toy Hauler. Its listed a little under 8k dry and 12 GVW (CCC of 4420lbs).

We just bought a Jeep Wrangler (TJ) and the thought of being able to haul it is tempting.

I havent weighed the Jeep yet but I hear it should be about 4k ready to drive.

My trailer is an open floor plan without a seperate garage. I was wondering if anyone has added a 3rd axle for extra weight. If my frame is the same as the other Victory Lane, they all have 3 axles and GVW of 15k....

Part of the problem on mine is that the axles are already toward the rear...
Your thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing the existing axles would be nice in that I could keep them where they currently are. I think I'd only be over by a few hundred lbs as it sits. Just wish there was a way of knowing if the frame and floor and stuff would hold up.

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to replace the existing two axles with heavier duty versions? That is what I did on an Aerolite travel trailer. And what I did on my Carson Toy Hauler.

On the Aerolite, I use the stronger axles as a form of a lift kit. On the Carson trailer, I needed extra capacity to carry another 50 gallons of water.

Good luck!
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
toytacoma8 wrote:
Do you have a picture of the stellar? My wife and I really liked those but weren't in a situation to have payments. Mines a similar layout to the 32 ft stellar we liked. 2100 would be worth it if I find out my frame is also the same as the bigger ones.
Hi, I'm sorry but I do not have pics at this time. Trailer is in storage so when I get the chance ill get some.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a picture of the stellar? My wife and I really liked those but weren't in a situation to have payments. Mines a similar layout to the 32 ft stellar we liked. 2100 would be worth it if I find out my frame is also the same as the bigger ones.

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy Cooter wrote:
I did mine and it was a fairly large project. About a month of prep with building the new axle, welding hangers onto a new subframe, shock mounts, etc. All of my axle had to be relocated for fit and to keep hitch weight correct.

Look at Icon Direct for triple fenders.
Hi, I had Limpert add the 3rd axle to my Stellar. They did everything to mine as you did to yours. The 1st axle did not move, only the 2nd was moved. With the Stellar it is the same frame as its bigger counterpart with 3 axles. I also found the fender flares through Icon. I don't worry about loading my Samurai in there anymore. Total cost with tires and wheels was about $2100. If you have the room, I say go for it.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
Hangers are cheap. If you have 6" to play with and you could shorten to 33" axle spacing to gain a few more. That is what I did. Think I ended up with 7" longer wheelbase.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I think part of what might make it not cost effective is having to relocate the other axles. Plus I can only go forward with them about 6 inches before hitting my steps.

Crazy_Cooter
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine and it was a fairly large project. About a month of prep with building the new axle, welding hangers onto a new subframe, shock mounts, etc. All of my axle had to be relocated for fit and to keep hitch weight correct.

Look at Icon Direct for triple fenders.
1999 Peterbilt 385
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2010 NuWa Hitchhiker 36LKRSB
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I met a guy who did, but he didn't relocate the existing axles, just added one behind it. He did say it added quite a bit to his pin weight, like was mentioned might happen. He didn't really like the result, but I don't think he was trying to add that much weight to the back of his trailer either.

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Have you thought of just flat towing behind your toy hauler? You would obviously have to have a hitch welded in with some added cross bracing but that might be an easier/cheaper/safer alternative.

That would be interesting especially since I already have a hitch on the back for some reason. Not legal here in WA though.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Have you thought of just flat towing behind your toy hauler? You would obviously have to have a hitch welded in with some added cross bracing but that might be an easier/cheaper/safer alternative.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spreading the axle load to 8 points on the frame rails should reduce vertical stress on the frame.

Consider cross bracing the frame side to side - maybe with a big X or 2 to help with side loads as the axles skid in tight corners.

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Have you actually looked underneath to see what you'd have to cut out to add the 3rd axle. On my tandem, it would have been a lot.

It looks like the current hangers are welded to the bottom of the frame and I wouldn't have to cut much. Would probably have to remove the gas tank to do the welding and put it back after.
Would have to cut some of the lower side skirt and add a triple axle fender flare.

Thanks for all the ideas and keep em coming. This will probably not happen but its fun to talk about and I'm sure other people will be curious as well. Couldn't find much when I searched.

toytacoma8
Explorer
Explorer
We Cant Wait wrote:
It only has an 8" I-Beam frame??? Well it's you unit to do with as you want I guess.

That's not helpful. I started this thread to get advice and learn if this would be possible. I don't know much about trailer frames so if there is something you could add that would help I would love to hear it.