cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on parking pad size

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
I have bought into a piece of land near the coast to have a home base for fishing and will be leaving my 5th wheel part-time. It’s a 42’ 5th wheel and I have to make a decision in the next couple of days on a concrete pad size. l’m thinking 14 x40 would be big enough to allow my steps to stay on the concrete ( solid, fold down kind) and a foot or so on the opposite side. No way I can afford a pad big enough for my truck and camper to sit on. Any advice?
11 REPLIES 11

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
1/4 minus, aka crusher fines, is also good for those extended areas and even driveways and RV slabs. Drive over it for compaction, soap it with water and let it dry and it becomes very stable.
I had a 42 x56 pole barn built and i came close to using quarter minus but I knew I would eventually hate myself so I ended up doing 5 inches of 4000 psi concrete, Plus an 8 inch thick section for a future 11,000 pound 2 post hoist. I’m so happy i spent that ~ $11,000. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I had to give an answer to the concrete guy today and I went with a 16 x 40.This should give me enough extra on the sides for my steps and I will likely come in later and frame out a 20 x 20 area on the front and put down a gravel pad for chairs, grilling, fire ring etc. Thanks for all the input guys.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed a pad in NC on 1 acre of land I bought for my 40' Carriage Cameo. I have a standard Eaton post that delivers 20/30 and 50 A. The pad is 6" thick and measures 50 by 20 feet. The pad does not have rebar, but fiberglass to give the concrete strength. The base of the bad is 3/4" crushed rock. Cost of the pad in 2018 was $5800.00. I also have a shed with washer/dryer. When you put in water lines be sure to have drains so you can purge the lines when you are away and purge the water in the shed to prevent freezing. If anything else, send me a message, or write it here.

I agree with this… nobody wished for a smaller pad….
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
You’ll never wish your pad was smaller, but you might wish it was bigger.

That's the truth .
Go at least 16x44. I have a covered 20x45 & allways wishing I had gone 24 wide. It's just money.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another thought, particularly if you go with a thinner slab, don't assume the wheels are right up on the edge of the pavement. If they are inset a foot or two, it's far less likely to crack the concrete.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I would go no smaller than 16X48. This would assure that the entire trailer is on cement with a little cushion to spare and still leave you with a hard surface when you walk out the door to help keep from tracking in dirt all the time.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
24X48
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I would try to keep it at least as long as the rig and if you can get concrete under the slide outs that would be nice.

Since it's your place, I assume you will be doing the mowing and much easier not having to mow under the RV.

40x14 = 560 sft
42x16 = 672 sft about 20% more in materials but workmanship cost should be negligible.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You’ll never wish your pad was smaller, but you might wish it was bigger.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
How much distance between the rear tires and the back of the trailer? I'm often parked to where only my rear jacks are on the pad. If it's 8 ft you could have a nice 8 x 14 patio. JMT.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu