cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Satellite Setup

wallaceb
Explorer
Explorer
I would finally like to setup for satellite in my 5th wheel. As have many before me I can’t decide between Dish vs. Direct. I also realize that both offer monthly service options.
Things to know: I do not have ATT phone service but rather Verizon and that is a slight negative vs Direct. Also, I do not have either Dish or Direct at home just typical cable.
Outstanding questions include: 1. Do I drop the home cable and go totally Dish/Direct? (I could get my internet via my century link land line) 2. Should I buy the total package from Dish/Direct vs. buying hardware, converter and satellite dish from say amazon etc. 3. What have I not also considered regarding going satellite other than the obvious “choose an open campsite , avoid tree cover”. Thank you all in advance. Happy Trails
30 REPLIES 30

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
I have DTV in my 5th wheel, Comcast at home. I can suspend the service while not on the road. I call DTV to re-instate my RV service before leaving home.The King Auto dish will search for the satellite when we get parked and we are in business.

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
I think more folks choose to go with Dish because they have a system for dealing with RVr's more so than Direct.

We have had Dish at the house for years because I think their DVR is better. So when we started we bought a Tailgater and a 211Z. We didn't like the reception on the Tailgater and returned it for the Pathway X2 and that worked fine.

I decided to get a Trav'ler last year and love it. We have since turned off our 211 and just take the Hopper from the house when we travel.

There's not really a right way or a wrong way to do this so I guess the answer is, it depends.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We had DTV and dumped them for Dish and a Pathway X2 and a 211 receiver. Works flawless. Also have Comcast for internet at home. IMO Dish is so much more user friendly for stopping and starting sat service. We tried one of the manual dishes before when we had DTV and it always seemed like we were fighting them for restarts or changing locals.
Also regardless of which way you go I would suggest getting a satellite app for your phone. I have DishpointerPro for dish. It helps greatly with the initial setup. Many times what looks like a clear path isn't always clear. It's super easy to use as well.

dedmiston
We used to set up the satellite at camp before we upgraded our DirecTV to HD. Once we went HD, our satellites wouldn't work anymore.

Now that we've upgraded to a new fiver with an HD OTA antenna, we don't miss the satellite TV. We absolutely love our HD antenna. We usually pick up 30+ channels wherever we camp and it's always a pleasant surprise to see what the lineup will be. The picture clarity is amazing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

stage
Explorer
Explorer
We too have had both. Dish and Tailgater like Tennessee said is a no brainer!
2004 Four Winds Hurricane 29d
1997 Jeep Wrangler toad
2016 Ford Edge toad

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use DTV and still use a standard dish, non HD, single LNB. So, it is ez to find a single sat. thru a hole in the trees, whatever. One issue for me is physical size of the dish and storage, mine folds flat and hangs from two hooks in the front compartment, using minimal space. Not sure where I would store an automatic dish and what else I would have to rearrange or leave at home.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
We've had DirecTV since the 1990s, and we have it in the RV. However, to get HD service with DirecTV, you need a roof-mounted system such as our Winegard SK-SWM3 automatic dish. NONE of the carry-out dishes will give you DirecTV HD service. You could, however, use a Slimline multiple LNB SWM dish on a tripod if you want to set it up every time you move.

That's not the case with Dish - HD service is available with capable carry-out dish systems.

So, it depends what capabilities you want and what you're willing to spend.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I use dish with the tail gater and it even works at home here in canada

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
We have had DTV for eons. i use a slimline 3 dish set up on a tripod when camping. BTW, I don't need z "clear" campsite. I usually can find a way to shoot between two trees or get the dish out by the road.

i have noticed that the Dish dishes apear to be smaller than the DTV, which could be a plus up.

As far as your home package, i would think you would just have to cost that out.

I am not too sure if one is better than the other but am currently tied up with DTV with the combined ATT cell package.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have had Direct TV in home for over 25 year's and since I had a Datron Auto dish on the TV when purchased, I've stuck with it.....but if I was starting fresh, I'd go with Dish simply because they seem to be ahead of the curve with HD reception on the road(ie Domed HD)....if HD was important to me in the RV, I'd switch.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Dish and like it. Since we have it at home it is only $7 more a month for the rv. Have a 211k receiver and a Playmaker, works great.

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
We've used Dish Network and a Tailgater for over a year (at home and the camper). It's a simple setup and it works well. The Tailgater is a no brainer. Just point it at the southwestern sky and it will find the satellites automatically. We are discontinuing service however, not because of poor service or product but we just don't watch as much tv as we used to. We stream when we can or just watch "antenna tv" or a dvd while camping. Going back to cable at home.
Put the free "Satellite AR" app on your phone to get an idea of where the sats are.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have Dish and own our equipment, we have an "RV" account, on when we need it off when we don't. We also got an TailGator dish, all we need is clear view of the southern sky, it will align automatically.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had directv for years in the house and use to take a box in the MH. We now have Dish in the MH and directv in the house. Dish is better to work with when traveling.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I also have tried both systems and found Dish works best on road. We also have the 211 receiver with the tailgater. Works great.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch