cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum vs Wood construction

Helipilot
Explorer
Explorer
Narrowing down our final choices for a fiver. DRV Mobile Suites have an aluminum frame and cold weather capability. Excel have a wooden frame and also cold weather capable. For long term use with proper maintenance which would be better?

In full disclosure, we have owned an Excel tow behind and found it comfortable but heavy. Currently have a 2015 GMC 3500 crew cab, 8' bed, DRW diesel as our proposed TV.
Roger and Barbara
On the pale blue planet, retired and happy!
2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 with vanity slide
22 REPLIES 22

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It is a smart idea:)

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I was just trying to be a smart :).
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
campinghut wrote:
Not to start an arguement but some manufactures put wood inside the aluminum frame.

I have one of those trailers. But the wood is encased by the 4 sides of the aluminum stud. It's mainly used for backing purposes. Even if there was some wood rot the aluminum framing would still be intact. Not so if it was just a wood stud by it's self.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Not to start an arguement but some manufactures put wood inside the aluminum frame.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Why give your trailer another option for failure.

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
After seeing what a water leak done to the framing of my designer, as long as aluminum is an option, I will never buy another wood frame trailer.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

Kennedycamper
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum trailers still have wood in the roof & other places.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Aluminum doesn't rot.

It can corrode. Corrosion resistance also varies with the alloy being used.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Timber is a better insulater than alluminium so les condensation on inside which also leads to dark lines.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Helipilot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the feed back on my question. You folks have a lot of experience and I appreciate your willingness to share with a noob.

As a licensed pilot and aircraft mechanic I realize the issues with aluminum. Have repaired a lot of aircraft exposed to sea air and chemical residue. Not pretty.
Roger and Barbara
On the pale blue planet, retired and happy!
2015 GMC Crew Cab Duramax DRW
2011 DRV MS 36RSSB3 with vanity slide

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Aluminum doesn't rot.

Yes it does ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes there are certain chemicals that can cause Aluminum to oxidize/rot however in the application of RV construction where your dealing with potential water intrusion wood will rot in no time. Not the case with Aluminum.

So don't try to compare the two when talking an RV application. Unless your just trying to be snarky...

Not snarky at all, just factual, and if you don't think Aluminum can oxidize in a RV you are mistaken.

I have not seen any evidence to show that a water leak is found any faster in an aluminum frame trailer vs wood. I personally appreciate the merits of both construction methods though....just pointing out that aluminum is not immune to decay.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Aluminum doesn't rot.

Yes it does ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes there are certain chemicals that can cause Aluminum to oxidize/rot however in the application of RV construction where your dealing with potential water intrusion wood will rot in no time. Not the case with Aluminum.

So don't try to compare the two when talking an RV application. Unless your just trying to be snarky...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Our fiver is going on 16 years old now, and it is aluminum frame. We were struck by an auto a few years back, all the damage was done to the right front by the landing jack, about $2,500. The repair co stated that if this unit was of wood construction, the damage would have been greater, ( Harder to patch) and the repair bill also greater.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Aluminum doesn't rot.

Yes it does ๐Ÿ™‚
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control