cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Ultimate and in bed fuel tank

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased my first FW and choose to with the Andersen Ultimate hitch to go on my existing gooseneck hitch. I had a brain fart and didn't even consider the fuel tank in my bed which was perfect for my TT and tonneau cover. Here are the dimensions.

Width 50 in
Height 9 in
Front of bed to back of tank is 20.25 in.
Center of Gooseneck ball to back of tank is 14.5 in.

The I know the Andersen can be flipped, but I can't find the dimensions once it is hooked up either way.

Is Anderson Ultimate still an option?

If not, what are my options?

Link to my aux tank

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306747_200306747
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
12 REPLIES 12

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
How hard is it to align the ball when hooking up" Seems like one needs to be exact when backing to connect and requires a second person to help with the backing. With my present Reese 5th wheel setup I can be a few inches off and do not need a helper.

It's not hard at all. I have been around a lot of gooseneck trailers in my lifetime the Andersen hitch is no different aside from the fact that the ball is easier to see from the driver's seat. You don't have to be exact but you have to be reasonably close. I actually find it easier to attach than a standard fifth wheel hitch, but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I've got more experience with gooseneck setups. Definitely no spotter needed.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
It's not hard at all. When you do it a few times, it's like riding a bike. TIP: draw a line with a marker on the front center of the coupler and on the side center where the ball mounts. That helps to line things up from the cab as you back up. I also line the pin box up in my rear view mirror and get it almost perfect every time. You can be off a little and it will slide in the coupler.
The Anderson hitch is so simple to use, works well with a short box and is easy on the pin weight.
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
How hard is it to align the ball when hooking up" Seems like one needs to be exact when backing to connect and requires a second person to help with the backing. With my present Reese 5th wheel setup I can be a few inches off and do not need a helper.

Requires being more accurate than a traditional 5er hitch, but since you can see the ball out the back widow its not that difficult nor does it require a second spotter. Still easier than connecting a bumper pull which you can't see. The plus side of the ball/coupler is you'll never have to worry about dropping the 5er on the truck bed. When its on its on and you know it.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

justme
Explorer
Explorer

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I found the email about the bed mat question - they replied with "Having the bed mat under the hitch is a great idea as it will prevent small scratches and dents happening in the bed of the truck." but I cannot find emails relating to orientation of the base unit.

So, I'm either mis-remembering that conversation or found it on-line somewhere (non-authoritative source), so I retract my statement, since I cannot substantiate it. Given Andersen's current documentation and the sticker on the base unit saying "this side towards cab" or whatever the exact wording is, I'll stand with that.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
I should have clarified - I wasn't intending to argue with you. When I bought mine, I emailed with Andersen on a few things, orientation of both the frame and the kingpin adapter box, installation over a bed mat, etc ... and I "thought" I recalled at that time they said the orientation of the frame was a recommendation but it was ok to reverse for clearance ... I will go thru my old emails tonight to see if I can find it.

Just curious, what was their answer about the hitch being over a bed mat?

krusegroup
Explorer
Explorer
The pin box can be oriented either way. The gooseneck mount hitch itself cannot.
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2016 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 BHXB

Me, Wife, Daughter, and two Wirehaired Dachshunds!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I should have clarified - I wasn't intending to argue with you. When I bought mine, I emailed with Andersen on a few things, orientation of both the frame and the kingpin adapter box, installation over a bed mat, etc ... and I "thought" I recalled at that time they said the orientation of the frame was a recommendation but it was ok to reverse for clearance ... I will go thru my old emails tonight to see if I can find it.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Only the rail mount version can be flipped around, not the GN.

I don't believe that's true. Andersen recommends a mounting orientation, but also noted that the Ultimate can be reversed for clearance. However, I just checked the Installation Docs on Andersen's website and it notes to install with the ball closest to the tailgate in this version. I'll have to look at the docs I downloaded when I bought mine a few years ago.

Believe what you want... It's well documented. OR call Andersen directly.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Only the rail mount version can be flipped around, not the GN.

I don't believe that's true. Andersen recommends a mounting orientation, but also noted that the Ultimate can be reversed for clearance. However, I just checked the Installation Docs on Andersen's website and it notes to install with the ball closest to the tailgate in this version. I'll have to look at the docs I downloaded when I bought mine a few years ago.

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
Whew! You're a life saver. Thanks for the reply.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Only the rail mount version can be flipped around, not the GN. On my short bed GM I have 22.75" between front of bed to hitch so looks like youll be fine.