cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another blow out!

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Coming back from Beaufort NC today on 70 just outside Goldsboro, the driver's side rear tire decided to let go! Took out the skirting and looks like there might be some small structural damage too. Replaced the forward tire on the same side a year ago, but no other damage other than to the rim. On our last fifth wheel after a blow out I replaced them all with LT tires. I thought they were the same size as these ones, but I can't find a 15 inch LT tire??? Tire Rack compares the Power King trailer tire to a Michelin they carry; anyone have any inputs on those. I like the Firestone TransForce, but until I find them... Got the insurance adjuster coming over this week to take a look. Wife and I have been looking at new rigs, hmmmm....
Oh, and for all the jackasses that didn't even try to move over, even with no car in the left lane...THANKS!!!! Even had a rig blow over my safety triangles, that's how close and fast he went by!
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
25 REPLIES 25

glkids2
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at simpletire.com
I got tires thru them this spring. Couldn't ask for a better experience

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
MAwolcott wrote:
I found a place that carries the Hercules tire. 225 75 15 load range E, so it's a 10 ply. Anyone had any dealings with these?

Hercules, and Salun are as good a 15" as you will find, and priced under Maxxis.

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
I found a place that carries the Hercules tire. 225 75 15 load range E, so it's a 10 ply. Anyone had any dealings with these?
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman,
I was only doing about 62. Outside temp was around 84. My wife thought the same thing, that maybe the hot pavement might have had something to do with it. I don't think so though because it doesn't seem to affect other tires ie motorcycles...
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to the towmax powerking guy, but doing a search on that tire will provide some interesting reading. It isn't called blowmax for nothing...and yes, I had them Try to go up a load range in whatever you decide.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelin seems to have two 235/75R15C's rated to 2271. Chris

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s/details.html#detail-sku-table
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Year ago we had lots of 6 and 8 ply rated 15" truck tires to choose from as just about all 1/2 ton trucks came with 15" tires. Now were down to one LT235/85-15 C at 1985 lb capacity in several USA brands.

Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D load range at 2100 lb capacity.

Goodyear G26 Cargo in a 225/70R15C (euro commercial class) at 2470 lb at 65 psi.

Maxxis U-168 Bravo in the same euro commercial class tire size as the G26.

Very little choices in a 15" LT tire.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dankenbring
Explorer
Explorer
Tire rack has a Firestone transforce HT tire. LT 235 75 r 15 $119.00
This is the only size listed in LT.

I changed to LT tire after the diamond tires gave out after 8K of use.
Good luck with your search. Just be sure to get LT tires,and compare sizes to what you have in circumference.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I have 4 new Power Kings on mine, upped the load range to D and have towed 2 trips
Since. Very satisfied.

Yep, my triangles got blown over, too. Side of interstate...blowing past me.
Had two flats, one trip. One down, one return. Inflated right, 3 years old and driving 55 mph.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the damage. Might I respectfully suggest TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)? After damaging our first TT, we made sure we got one for our 5'r and it saved us last year!

Not sure it would help you on a blow out, although I'm sure the pressure or heat probably would have initiated the system to alert. You may or may not have been able to get over and stopped before any damage but it only takes one alert for the system to pay for itself. Good luck

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are OK and remained safe. I'm just curious, how fast were you going when this blow-out happened? And what was the outside temperature (approximately?)