cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another blow out!

MAwolcott
Explorer
Explorer
Coming back from Beaufort NC today on 70 just outside Goldsboro, the driver's side rear tire decided to let go! Took out the skirting and looks like there might be some small structural damage too. Replaced the forward tire on the same side a year ago, but no other damage other than to the rim. On our last fifth wheel after a blow out I replaced them all with LT tires. I thought they were the same size as these ones, but I can't find a 15 inch LT tire??? Tire Rack compares the Power King trailer tire to a Michelin they carry; anyone have any inputs on those. I like the Firestone TransForce, but until I find them... Got the insurance adjuster coming over this week to take a look. Wife and I have been looking at new rigs, hmmmm....
Oh, and for all the jackasses that didn't even try to move over, even with no car in the left lane...THANKS!!!! Even had a rig blow over my safety triangles, that's how close and fast he went by!
Mike & Amy
USN ADCS (AW) Retired
2016 F350 DRW FX4 Lariat.
2017 Montana 3791RD
2013 Cougar 28SGS (sold)
2008 Pilgrim 272PBH (sold)
2006 Summit TT (sold)
Pop-up (sold)
25 REPLIES 25

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I do think you have to have at least 6 lug wheels to be able to change to 16" wheels/tires. If your only 5 lug rims on your RV your stuck with 15".
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with C.B. I have a 27' 5th wheel with 15" and had many problems and blowouts. The final straw was two leaf springs breaking at same time (thanks calif. Roads). Changed to 16" rims and LT tires. Air to 80# and have no problems in two years. Also, due to the cost and being retired, I take the 5th wheel for a 50 mile ride every month to keep the tires lubed up.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stand corrected on my earlier statement that the tires in question are LT tires. Seems they are not and I was in error. Some of the sizes listed in the table do have the LT designation and I just assumed all of them were LT tires.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I sent a friend of mine to the tire dealer that I have used for over 20 years for new tires for his 5ver. the dealer told him that he uses the Hercules tires on all of his trailer,and has not had a problem with them. he's using the ribbed tread. My friend went with the Ribbed tires tires. He's had them now for over a year and has told me that the trailer pulls a lot better with those tires than any other tires he has had on a trailer.
when I replace my tires I will be butting them on mine.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Dankenbring wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Michelin seems to have two 235/75R15C's rated to 2271. Chris

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s/details.html#detail-sku-table

If they are not LT tires they are for cars.

They are LT tires according to the link given.
Barney

The link I clicked on shows the Defenders to have P and LT tires and shows two 235/75R-15/XL 109 T at 2270 lbs capacity 50 psi passenger class tire. I couldn't find a 235/75R15C class tire on Michelins or Tirerack web.

If thats the case the low 50 psi pressure alone may disqualify this tire for a trailer needing a 65 or 80 psi tire.....if thats the OP tire requirements.

P type tires are required by fed regs to have their capacity derated by dividing 2270 lbs by 1.1 = 2064 lbs for trailer service. Which IMO would work great on 3500 lb axles and smaller lighter weight tandem and single axle trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
As was suggested, an upgrade to LT225/75r16 E might be a good solution for you as its only 1" OD larger so should fit without issue (I'd measure to make sure you have enough space though) and provide a few hundred pounds more load capacity as well so it's a solid upgrade.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Ohio_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/defender-ltx-m-s/details.html#detail-sku-table

Sorry with an XL suffix that tire is a "Euro-Metric" type and the max load of 2271 needs to be "de-rated" to 2,064#. Also XL is 50 psi max. This tire is not an LT and it is not a Load Range-C.
The Michelin web page is misleading.

I have talked to their customer service about their sloppy table.

Ohio_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I have 4 new Power Kings on mine, upped the load range to D and have towed 2 trips
Since. Very satisfied.

Yep, my triangles got blown over, too. Side of interstate...blowing past me.
Had two flats, one trip. One down, one return. Inflated right, 3 years old and driving 55 mph.

What was the TPMS reading on the two tires that failed?

Ohio_Engineer
Explorer
Explorer
MAwolcott wrote:
Coming back from Beaufort NC today on 70 just outside Goldsboro, the driver's side rear tire decided to let go! Took out the skirting and looks like there might be some small structural damage too. Replaced the forward tire on the same side a year ago, but no other damage other than to the rim. On our last fifth wheel after a blow out I replaced them all with LT tires. I thought they were the same size as these ones, but I can't find a 15 inch LT tire??? Tire Rack compares the Power King trailer tire to a Michelin they carry; anyone have any inputs on those. I like the Firestone TransForce, but until I find them... Got the insurance adjuster coming over this week to take a look. Wife and I have been looking at new rigs, hmmmm....
Oh, and for all the jackasses that didn't even try to move over, even with no car in the left lane...THANKS!!!! Even had a rig blow over my safety triangles, that's how close and fast he went by!

Have you thought about the possibility that the earlier failure on driver side resulted in the tire that just failed being overloaded significantly as you continued down the highway?
Please do not switch from St to LT tires in the same size and load range as you will be giving up significant load capacity.
What are the measured loads on each tire?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dankenbring wrote:
Me Again wrote:

They are LT tires according to the link given.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Dankenbring
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
MAwolcott wrote:
Dutchman,
I was only doing about 62. Outside temp was around 84. My wife thought the same thing, that maybe the hot pavement might have had something to do with it. I don't think so though because it doesn't seem to affect other tires ie motorcycles...

Yea, that does not sound like anything out of the ordinary. The tire should not be "that" fickle at that speed and temperatures, as that sounds very acceptable. Maybe when you have your tire replaced, have them inspect the old tire and see if they can give a reason for the blow out? I'd be curious what the experts say?

You classify the personnel at a tire store as forensic experts?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
MAwolcott wrote:
Dutchman,
I was only doing about 62. Outside temp was around 84. My wife thought the same thing, that maybe the hot pavement might have had something to do with it. I don't think so though because it doesn't seem to affect other tires ie motorcycles...

Yea, that does not sound like anything out of the ordinary. The tire should not be "that" fickle at that speed and temperatures, as that sounds very acceptable. Maybe when you have your tire replaced, have them inspect the old tire and see if they can give a reason for the blow out? I'd be curious what the experts say?

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
MAwolcott wrote:
I can't find a 15 inch LT tire.

IMHO
Don't waste your time with more 15" junk.

Go to 16" rims with Michelen LT XPS RIBS load range E

Did that on my Cherokee 32B when China Bomb took out left side of trailer.

I think the original tires were 225 or 235 X 15.

Went with 215 X 16" to get smaller tire circumference so space between tire was acceptable.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B