cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have an 25K Air Safe Hitch with a new Superduty

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F450 with a Hensley T3 hitch. I have a Retrax roll top cover and so far have wiped out 2 rails on the retrax cover because I cannot seem to get the hitch high enough.
The back of the pin box hits the retrax rail when I make a sharp turn backing up. Just ordered a 4" spacer for the T3 and really hope that does the trick.

I had a 25K Air Safe Hitch with my old F350 and I think I should have stayed with Air Safe. The nice thing about Air Safe -- even though the head may sit up high while towing it comes off very easily after you unhook to us your roll top cover.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES
8 REPLIES 8

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
Go to this web site and read this thread. Per wingnut, your best bet is to trim the flanges on the side plates a couple of inches up to the rear bolts.

Pin Box Mod to clear bed rails.

srosa
Explorer
Explorer
bigdon68 wrote:
I have a 2017 F450 with a Hensley T3 hitch. I have a Retrax roll top cover and so far have wiped out 2 rails on the retrax cover because I cannot seem to get the hitch high enough.
The back of the pin box hits the retrax rail when I make a sharp turn backing up. Just ordered a 4" spacer for the T3 and really hope that does the trick.

I had a 25K Air Safe Hitch with my old F350 and I think I should have stayed with Air Safe. The nice thing about Air Safe -- even though the head may sit up high while towing it comes off very easily after you unhook to us your roll top cover.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

bigdon68

I also have a 2017 F450 and own an Air Safe 25k hitch. I recently switched to a BW Companion because the Air Safe hitch (on lowest setting) and its Reese adapter were too high to fit under my roll bed cover without removing the head. The setup was also too high for my trailer whereas the BW hitch is just right. I also lowered my rear bed height by 1.25" which made a world of difference. If you need more bed rail clearance, going back to an Air Safe hitch and adapter would certainly help. It will make for a very high connection point too so hopefully your trailer can handle it.
Steve
2018 DRV MS 38 RSSA
2017 Ford F-450 Lariat CC 4X4 DRW LWB

steadfastrock
Explorer
Explorer
bigdon68 wrote:
steadfastrock wrote:
As long as your coach gross is less than 21K, you can lower the pin. This will require going to 5 bolts on each side.
We had to do this with our Mobile Suites towed by our Chevy. Look for a sticker on the side of the hitch to allow the procedure.
Good luck.

Can not do. Over 21K

bigdon68

So you are over gross on the coach then? The pin can be lowered a reduced amount while maintaining the six bolts still.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
steadfastrock wrote:
As long as your coach gross is less than 21K, you can lower the pin. This will require going to 5 bolts on each side.
We had to do this with our Mobile Suites towed by our Chevy. Look for a sticker on the side of the hitch to allow the procedure.
Good luck.

Can not do. Over 21K

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

steadfastrock
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Looking at your pics, doesn't look like you could gain much by trimming below the actual pin box at the point of impact to the rails. Your rig pic looks like you may be able to raise the hitch more though, without causing too much a nose-high issue.

Jerry

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Posting a picture of the problem would help with responses. I have heard of similar issues, where the pin box mount needed to be trim in an upward slope to allow clearance to bed rails. You don't want to raise the hitch too high, and be towing way nose-high. If I understand the issue, I think trimming would be the answer.

Jerry

Check out MY PICTURES

bigdon68

MY PICTURES

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Posting a picture of the problem would help with responses. I have heard of similar issues, where the pin box mount needed to be trim in an upward slope to allow clearance to bed rails. You don't want to raise the hitch too high, and be towing way nose-high. If I understand the issue, I think trimming would be the answer.

Jerry