cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone use a solar TPMS?

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
In the past we had TST 507 that I let go with our last MH. I am shopping for a new set for the FW. I must admit I was never completely happy with the TST's. I know most people like them but I constantly had 1 or 2 sensors that would lose a signal. TST was great about support and actually replaced 2 of them admitting they were faulty, however it happened again with the replacements. Anyway, shopping for new ones and I see TST prices are about 2x what they were a few years ago. I saw a few on Amazon, and some solar ones with excellent reviews. Much cheaper as well, although I do find you often get what you pay for. I only need 4 BTW. The sensors use batteries but the main unit is a solar mounted dash setup.

Thoughts?

solar TPMS

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
8 REPLIES 8

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Thanks for all the suggestions. Good point on the max psi. I'll check out the other ones you guys suggested.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just bought that unit on Ebay for $19.50 but using it on my truck… not sure how far it will transmit but for my price, why not? It has a power plug IF the battery needed extra charging.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Can you put the truck in the garage, or do you need it to sit out in the sun?

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought this one and can't get it to keep with three of the four 5th wheel trailer tires. Really disappointed because it got good reviews and a good review on youtube. If you get one you may try to get one that includes a booster.
TPMS from Amazon

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one tpms and so far it seems to be working correctly. Only had it for four months, but ok so far.
And this one goes to 130 psi.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI, that one isn't recommended for trailers. They have a link to a "newer" one that is recommended for trailers. Still 87 PSI but its $160. I'm not sure that being limited to 87 PSI is a bad thing, I'm much more concerned with a dropping tire pressure and would set a minimum threshold, not a maximum threshold. Looking at the questions, it says it has a max pressure of 99 lbs.

It also monitors temperature somehow (not sure how that works on a valve stem).

Anyway, deal of the day for $63 I bought one and I'll see how it does. The 87 PSI doesn't worry me. The 36' range could potentially be an issue, but it looks like they have a range extender. If it doesn't work, I'll return it. That's a good deal though!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the solar ones for about $18 and they work but I would be using them on my 5th wheel. I use them on my car trailer and other utility trailers but the TST has saved me from trailer damage and spotted a slow wheel leak. BUT as you say I have lost them on and off. I have to change out the batteries every time I plan a trip.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
On second thought, these may not work. I just saw max psi reading is 87. My FW tires are supposed to be 80 cold and I am sure they'll heat up to 87 at some point under normal conditions. That's too low a threshold to indicate a real problem.

But, I will take recommendations what TPMS you guys are using for your FW's.