cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arctic Fox

rmoparman
Explorer
Explorer
Going to look at Arctic Fox 27 l this morning. All of reviews i have seen , best owners forums says hands down. Not alot of bling but fit and finish top notch. Not no dealers on east cost but one in PA.27 l is to small for us. Would like to order a 29k or T. Might be to heavy for 3/4 ton.
15 REPLIES 15

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't own the truck, buy a 1 ton. They don't cost that much more. We bought a short bed & Pull-rite slider hitch. Arctic Fox units are heavy.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
rmoparman wrote:
Going to look at Arctic Fox 27 l this morning. All of reviews i have seen , best owners forums says hands down. Not alot of bling but fit and finish top notch. Not no dealers on east cost but one in PA.27 l is to small for us. Would like to order a 29k or T. Might be to heavy for 3/4 ton.

It depends on the model year/specs of the 3/4 Ton truck and the model year/specs of the AF 27-5L. The newer 3/4 Ton trucks have specs fairly similar to the older 1 Tons (like my vintage 2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500). I also have an earlier model 2011 AF 27-5L before they lengthened it a bit and widened it. The GVWR on my AF is 12000 lbs. Dry weight really means nothing. My truck has a GVWR of 9900lbs with a cargo capacity of 3020 lbs (before passengers, dog, hitch and stuff in the bed). I feel like this trailer pushes the limits of my truck. It is really heavy. And the new ones are even heavier - as you can see from the other threads. I wouldn't feel safe pulling anything heavier than this AF with my truck. I wouldn't even consider the 29-5K with my truck. I think you're probably in 1 Ton dually territory with that trailer.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our 27-5L for about 18 months, purchased it new and it is easily the best trailer we've owned. As normal to some other brands we had a few minor warranty repairs done but dollar for dollar it's hard to find a better built unit in a comparable price range. What I've noticed is many of the components are not the cheapest opetion they could use. Even has made in the USA stamped on the ABS drainlines.

The owners forum is filled with many helpful owners with discussions even on touchy topics done in a sane manner. Many have traveled far to purchase their rig wheather new or used. While the east and south doesn't have the numbers the west has there are enough out there. In addition to a rally each year in LeGrande,, OR, their is a rally on the East Coast. Northwood is also very good with authorizing warranty work to be done when a dealer isn't close by.

As for trucks, I've hauled ours with both a 3/4 ton and now a 1 ton. On the previous truck I was about 300# over the GVRW but under on all other weights. When we wanted to change from our ext cab short box to a crew cab I really only looked at 1 tons. We also went to a long box. I don't really notice that much difference in how the two haul the trailer and the wheel base of the CCLB does make for a nicer ride than the ECSB did. My opinion, if one doesn't have a truck already and is buying something it may as well be a 1 ton.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 27-5L, loaded ready to camp it weighs in at 11500# with a pin weight of 2410#. We boondock almost all the time. That's pushing our 2002 F350 7.3 6 speed right up to the limit on the combined weight rating and about 600 over on the vehicle weight rating. I have done a bunch of mods to my truck plus a PHP Hydra Chip. I can pull some long steep hills in 4th and overdrive maintaining 55 to 60 mph most times, EGT is the limiting factor here. The trucks suspension takes the weight well, the rear drops about 4 inchs which levels the truck out since the 02 F350 4x4 has the big blocks under the rear springs anyway. It never bottoms or sways, the 5ver tows like a dream back there.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

“Going to the mountains is going home.” John Muir

caseyhoward
Explorer
Explorer
I've been dragging a Northwood Nash all over the country for 10 years and its still in excellent shape. You won't be sorry.
Irish Tinkers

Winnebago_Bob
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded our 28F. Amazing unit. It wasn't a fiver but the quality is the same across the board.

Build is second to none. If you threw it off a cliff it would bounce and land on its wheels, hitched, ready to go.

Health issues forced the trade - no longer a fan of hitching and unhitching, leveling, etc.

You can't go wrong. Make sure your truck is rated well - they are heavy buggers. My one ton pulled ours like it wasn't even there.
2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

terryaGJ
Explorer
Explorer
"Did the dealer have a scale? How did you determine the weight?"

Got the actual weight off the MSRP sheet. Also the "Cargo Weight Maximum" is listed on the sticker on the RV. One of the 27-5L's that I was looking at locally had a 1582 lb cargo weight maximum.

outboardfever
Explorer
Explorer
I had one a few years ago, well built and nice cabinetry. The front cap delaminated but that probably has been long addressed with fiberglass caps. Really big in Oregon and Washington.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
GoPackGo wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
I really wanted one but they aren't sold down here in the south.

Same here. I leaned towards getting one, but no dealers (Florida) so could not even look at one.

The nearest dealer I could find was in VA. And they stopped carrying AF
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
terryaGJ wrote:
I've been looking at the 27-5L and 29-5T 5th's for a while now. Check out the actual weights of the rigs. The 27-5L's I've looked at actually weigh over 11,000 lb dry weight, well over Northwoods published weight. Once you load water and propane you have around 1600 lb capacity left for everything else. I was a little underwhelmed with the fit and finish but they are built solid on a heavy duty frame.

Did the dealer have a scale? How did you determine the weight?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Same here. I leaned towards getting one, but no dealers (Florida) so could not even look at one.

terryaGJ
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the 27-5L and 29-5T 5th's for a while now. Check out the actual weights of the rigs. The 27-5L's I've looked at actually weigh over 11,000 lb dry weight, well over Northwoods published weight. Once you load water and propane you have around 1600 lb capacity left for everything else. I was a little underwhelmed with the fit and finish but they are built solid on a heavy duty frame.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, I hope you secure a good deal. The 27 was high on my want list but very few came up as used around here. When they did the pricing was such that it probably made more sense to buy new.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper