cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

As long as we're talking batteries,little help please

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
I just hooked the 2 6 v batteries in the MH up to solar for the first time and they are bubbling hard enough to hear them from a couple of feet away. I am using a reology 100 w panel with 50' of cable with mc4 connectors running them through a tracer 2210RN/2215RN mppt charge controller.
The batteries were at 13.49v before hooking up and with no power to the RV from any outside source. Hooked them up to panel and the battery charging light came on as expected and the 2 batteries went up to 14.66v in a couple of minuets then the battery led on the CC started flashing indicating full battery,. They are still bubbling. Is that normal.
Hoping some of the resident elect. experts are in attendance this early in the day.
7 REPLIES 7

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
After watching the batteries for an hour or so I unplugged the solar panel. They never got hot nor did any of the wiring throughout the whole system. Just checked and the meter reads 13.70 volts.(after being unhooked from solar but hooked back to convertor/charger for the last few hours)
The system has been basically been in storage mode the last month or so as it is always hooked up to 110v but not using any 12v load. I did do a charge with my new smart charger a few weeks ago.
smk I may change to the gel setting if they start to burn off the acid.thanks
Roy B Thanks, the batteries have been sitting at 13.6 for a while now so maybe that was the problem.
I plan to try again for at least a couple of hours tomorrow to see if it drops back to a float rate.
Thanks for all the help folks.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't get the batteries hooked up in parallel instead of series did you?
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say when the controller indicated the batteries were full it should have dropped back to 13.49VDC...

It has been my experience that 13.6VDC will boil out your battery fluids over time and the battery should drop to 13.2VDC FLOAT MODE when no current is being commanded.

Be sure to check your fluid levels after a bit. I don't think that would be normal boiling your fluids like that unless it has been sitting at 13.5-6 for a longer period of time.

Also a single solar panel like yours should only be producing around 5AMPS of DC current which is in the neighborhood of trickle charging for batteries.. I would think the battery would not be boiling on you with that low of DC CURRENT. It would take 17-20AMPS at that DC VOLTAGE to boil up some fluids I would think..

maybe some experts will dime in here what might be going on...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is it set to Flooded Battery? This program holds 14.6 volts two hours then drops to 13.8 float. OK for in use but seems high for storage.

Change to GEL setting for a lower 14.2 boost voltage. Still going to run two hours and this is normal while in use.

http://www.system-pv.com/files/2215.pdf last page for charging specs.

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry didn't realize I was in the 5er forum. Thanks

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
ghsebldr wrote:
I just hooked the 2 6 v batteries in the MH up to solar for the first time and they are bubbling hard enough to hear them from a couple of feet away. I am using a reology 100 w panel with 50' of cable with mc4 connectors running them through a tracer 2210RN/2215RN mppt charge controller.
The batteries were at 13.49v before hooking up and with no power to the RV from any outside source. Hooked them up to panel and the battery charging light came on as expected and the 2 batteries went up to 14.66v in a couple of minuets then the battery led on the CC started flashing indicating full battery,. They are still bubbling. Is that normal.
Hoping some of the resident elect. experts are in attendance this early in the day.

That doesn't sound right. I would disconnect them immediately and check out the charge controller. Sounds like to me they might be overcharging. Better safe than sorry, those are expensive batteries.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
The *Tech Issues* forum is the best choice for battery & solar info.

A search on "battery" or "batteries" and "solar" will yield hundreds of posts.

~