cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ATV riders stand up BLM in Utah

Bakersfield
Explorer
Explorer
story found here: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/10/utah-residents-become-next-to-confront-bureau-land-manage...

Perhaps this will trigger more BLM land opening up to ATVs. I never understood why hikers and horses are permitted, but not ATVs.
110 REPLIES 110

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGQQFjAG&url=htt...Center for Biological Diversity is busy cranking out thousands of lawsuits to close thousands of miles land from public us
and at the same time getting rich off the tax payer
According to the GAO report, payments made to these organizations for the fiscal years 2003 through 2010 came to:

• $5.62 million to the Sierra Club and its legal defense fund called Earthjustice

• $1.7 million to the National Resources Defense Council

• $553,645 to the Center For Biological Diversity

• $535,000 to the Western Environmental Center

• $219,000 to the Environmental

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGQQFjAG&url=htt...
Gary

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
fly-boy wrote:
We all need each other if we are to keep the boogie man out of our play box.

Amen!

Just as long as we're all in agreement that two wheels are better than four!

Flame on. :B

Nayther- Thank you for your efforts!
Dave- ATV's/UTV's/mopeds and fat chicks- fun to (*&^ but you don't want to be seen on one.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Mmaxed wrote:
fly-boy wrote:

Most true statement of the thread.

A few years ago there was an effort to get all off roaders together as more numbers would have a stronger voice. Were looking at snowmobiles, ATV/UTV and dirt bike groups/clubs. Many didn't want to combine because they thought their group would want something slightly different or they thought they were in a better position at the current time. Bottom line is that all have lost more since then and will probably continue to loose.

We have done that in CA, it's called the California Motroized Recreation Council (CAMRAC for short). That is the "entity" that banded together to keep what we did keep on Johnson Valley. We are now organizing to go on the offensive and regain lands lost over "junk science" and other questionable maneuvers by the Greenies.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
fly-boy wrote:

Amen!

Just as long as we're all in agreement that two wheels are better than four!

Flame on. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler...as long as all interested groups remain strangers to one another then your numbers won't count in Washington...forget about spending time on a forum arguing over whom are the worst offenders and unite...united groups give the cause the numbers that Washington might listen to.

Mmaxed
Explorer II
Explorer II
fly-boy wrote:

Most true statement of the thread.

A few years ago there was an effort to get all off roaders together as more numbers would have a stronger voice. Were looking at snowmobiles, ATV/UTV and dirt bike groups/clubs. Many didn't want to combine because they thought their group would want something slightly different or they thought they were in a better position at the current time. Bottom line is that all have lost more since then and will probably continue to loose.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
We absolutely need to be proactive in keeping our trail systems open. IMO- the best way to do that is to get more of the decision making into state and local hands. "Locals" are the people who are most affected by opening/closing public lands. These are also the people who can best assists authorities with trail repair/maintenance and rule education/enforcement. Your vote counts so make it a good one!

As for ATV/UTV people impacting the land in a measurable way- it is a fact. ATV/UTV's are basically a jet ski with wheels.

Jet skis helped make the water affordable and eased entrance into the boating world for the masses- including a bunch of chuds who had no business on the water let alone driving there. Many long time boaters hated those things- including me! However, over time I have come to believe that jet skis have been a positive for the boating community as whole.

As a two wheel enthusiast I would prefer to have the trails to my self. However, having a giant ATV/UTV industry and ownership group invested in keeping land open helps me sleep at night as I know there will at least be trails to ride!

2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
In our neck of the woods, the FS is staffing all their districts with biologist as district managers. This is a huge "red" flag to all the clubs around here, who did have a good working relationship with most districts. However over the last several years, that has deteriorated and the FS has started arbitrarily closing roads and trails in violation of their MVMP. The 6 counties surrounding the NF here have banded together and have filed multiple lawsuits against the FS to make them abide by their own rules. So far, it has been very productive, as the Federal Judge has sided with the counties and made the FS abide by the published MVMP. However, what this has caused is some very nasty rangers out on the trails.

I don't know where this will end up, but unless someone is reigned in, I think there will be many more skirmishes like the one that started this thread.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Bedlam
I know some volunteer tasks are restricted in my area due to agency liability even when the volunteer signs a waiver. This again has been the result of irresponsible people ruining it for others. In this case it is injuring yourself or others due to unsafe behavior and then suing the government to cover your mistakes.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Bakersfield wrote:
The infighting is killing us. One day you will wake up and everything will be closed. At that point it really does not matter who caused it; the fact is you did not nothing to prevent it. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke). Closing public land is pure evil.

Everyone (hikers, motorcycles, horses, ATV, SXS, 4x4, mountain bikes, etc) have an impact on the land. What we need are ideas and solutions:
Perhaps, we require everyone that use public land to take a "Leave no Trace" class.
Perhaps, we need more Rangers to enforce laws on already on the books.
Perhaps, we need to really increase the fines, penalties, jail time and take rides away.
Perhaps, we increase taxes and increase user fees to pay for enforcement.
Perhaps, we increase the CCC program, build new trails, and repair the old ones.
Perhaps, we get the media involved and invite them on a ride-a-long.
Perhaps, we hit up all the manufactures of motor sports and form a PAC.
Perhaps, .... Insert idea here.

Bakersfield:

I’ve agreed with all your posts so far in this thread but I’d differ on a few of the points you’ve brought up.

I feel very strongly that adding more bureaucracy to a system that is already WAY overloaded with it is no answer to the matter at hand and will only result in a quickening of the Police State that is rapidly being erected around us. Look what happened out at the Bundy Ranch.

I would have to think de-funding the BLM would be a real good start or at the very least seriously cutting buck their budget would be a good thing. As for the Forest Service I’d have to think trimming their Law Enforcement budget would be a step in the right direction as well.

The only problem here is that as we saw during the most recent ‘Government Shutdown’ is that these agencies for some strange reason, have become WAY to controlling over the access to their respective administered lands and as a result of that close access during these ‘Shutdowns’ and or budget related issues.

Look what happened to the all parks and campgrounds! My brother went camping in the Mono Basin during the last ‘Shutdown’ only to find all the CG’s and related services locked tight. On his way back over the Sierras on Hwy 120 he was stopped by a FS LEO and was told if he stopped anywhere along the Hwy and got out of his truck he would be ticketed.

Giving these agencies more policing powers will only make things worse! …. their policing powers need to be reigned in, not expanded.

I spoke with the head Ranger of the Plumes NF regarding their MVMP and asked him why he was closing so many roads and trials and his answer was that he did not have the budget to maintain these roads and trails and therefore needed to close them.

I then asked him why not seek help in these maintenance tasks via volunteer work crews and his answer was that was not a viable option and refused to comment any further on the subject matter. Until we can change this type of reasoning we can only expect more closures due to ‘Budget Shortfalls’ and other related issues that may or may not by at the heart of the issue.

I think this closure issue goes beyond just localized environmental damage caused by motorized vehicular traffic and other means of recreational traffic. I’ve become very concerned with the growing threat from radical environmentalism and consider this the biggest threat of all. Until we change the political mentality behind this burgeoning “Eco” threat we can only expect to continue to see more and more land being shut to public access.

So, to fill in the last “perhaps" maybe I’d start with:

Perhaps we all become more politically active.
Perhaps we all speak out when we see Idiots doing stupid things in our Pubic Lands.
Perhaps we all take the time to try to educate these Idiots when we see them doing these stupid things.
Perhaps we all donate a little more to politically sound organizations like the Pacific Legal Foundation
Perhaps we all call our representatives and express our dissatisfaction with the FS and BLM travel management plans.
Perhaps we all call Head Rangers and express our dissatisfaction with their Closure Orders
And Just Perhaps we all ready ourselves for some Civil Disobedience…….
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a BLM ranger off the interstate except for at our races of which we are permitted and responsible people. There is no need for them to be at our race when they could be out trying to get the offenders.

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
The BLM has one employee for every 18,000+ acres. How do you imagine that abusers should be caught and punished?
Lynn

kfp673 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
derwud wrote:
Equal Access for all and punish only those that abuse, simple!! We don't close roads and highways because of speeders and idiots!!

Bingo! Winner winner Chicken Dinner.

please explain how you will define "abuse". if a 4 wheeler leaves a one inch rut, is it ok? how about a 6 inch rut?
bumpy

The answer is yes it is ok. Stay on the trail and rut all you want! Just stay on the trail. As said earlier, I totally agree, equal access for all!

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Y-Guy wrote:
derwud wrote:
Equal Access for all and punish only those that abuse, simple!! We don't close roads and highways because of speeders and idiots!!

Bingo! Winner winner Chicken Dinner.

please explain how you will define "abuse". if a 4 wheeler leaves a one inch rut, is it ok? how about a 6 inch rut?
bumpy

The answer is yes it is ok. Stay on the trail and rut all you want! Just stay on the trail. As said earlier, I totally agree, equal access for all!

derwud
Explorer
Explorer
We all need to fight to keep OUR lands open and we all need to figure out a way to educate all about proper use of OUR lands. To bad any body can buy a OHV and take it off-road.
2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300
2 Quads, 2 Motorcycle and a '06 Rhino
1 Patient Wife, 1 Crazy child, 1 sweet baby.
RIP Bubba and Toby, we love you.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
O.K. one last post on this

My point was not to single out one group but to make the point that some are not educated in OHV, glad allcool has a B.S. in M.E. as I have a B.S as well, not the point. Education is PARAMOUNT and we are not getting to the non-organized users, THAT'S THE POINT.

As for the victory in Glamis I am fully aware of that, ASA, AMA D37, and others are part of a group called ECOLOGIC and we pay thousands of dollars into ECOLOGIC every year. ECOLOGIC has been working since 2001 to get this done and has succeeded. Yes I DO know. For the record I am District Legislative Officer for AMA District 37, the largest active District in the AMA.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX